Author Topic: Check your wheelie bins...  (Read 1278 times)

Floydian

Check your wheelie bins...
« on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
We have a fortnightly wheelie bin collection service, this week it was the turn of the grey (general waste) one. As usual i pulled ours out of the garden and into the street ready for emptying. The guys turned up and emptied it and as i dragged it back in i noticed I'd left the garden hose out from watering the plants the evening before. Having nothing better to do and everything being at hand i thought maybe the bin could do with a quick wash out. I opened the lid and looked in, sure enough it looked like one of the plastic bin bags had split and there was some rice from the chili we had last week on the bottom and up the side of the bin. I looked a bit closer and the "rice" was moving... only it wasn't rice, it was maggots! Dozens of 'em.... Hardly surprising really when you consider how hot it's been and a fortnights worth of waste to feed on (though how the "parents" got into the fastened up bin bags beats me). Anyhoo, out came the domestos and the yardbrush and a few good blasts of water and it was job done. Just thought I'd give it a mention....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Phil

Re: Check your wheelie bins...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
We use wheelie bin liners & that seems to stop any getting into the bin.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Floydian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
Yes, i mentioned it to my neighbour and he said to do the same, then if it happened again any bugs, maggots etc would at least be contained.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

JCBDriver

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
We have 3 bins, general waste, recyclables and garden also collected every two weeks. I clean them myself after collection every couple of months. It doesnt take long and keeps them fresh.

Some of my neighbours pay for a commercial service which costs about £7.50/bin but I think I can do just as good a job at a fraction of the cost.

Sheila

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
I kept my elderly mop when I bought a new one and use it in the bin.  A bucket of hot water with Dettol, wipe round the top and then tip it into the bin, have a good mop and turn the bin upside down to drain.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
I kept my elderly mop when I bought a new one and use it in the bin.  A bucket of hot water with Dettol, wipe round the top and then tip it into the bin, have a good mop and turn the bin upside down to drain.

That's exactly what I do too.. ;D

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Is dustbin powder any use in these circumstances?

Floydian

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »
I'm just gonna stick a picture of the wife in her bathing cossie on the inside of mine, that'll deter any bugger, lol.  ;D
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
A bucket of hot water with Dettol, wipe round the top and then tip it into the bin, have a good mop and turn the bin upside down to drain. Then just roll out, cut into squares and serve with lashings of jam and fresh cream.

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »
As I spend quite long periods at the van I do try to time visits home to coincide with bin days. At best it's 4 weeks between pickups but can be a lot more. As we only make flying visits home the rubbish quantity should be small but we often host a family gathering then which boosts it. I make sure that any food waste gets separated and put in a litter bin up the road rather than my own bin otherwise it would doubtless be very lively. I expect the bin emptier curses but tough.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
if you took up fishing Floydian those maggots might have saved you a couple of bob...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:48:58 PM »
So might buying less food... ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.