Author Topic: Cut pension credit  (Read 13699 times)

crabbyob

Re: Cut pension credit
« Reply #30 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »
Raven, i admit thats a bummer and i'm sure thee must be some way you can get your share....
but until you do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #31 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
Raven, I couldn't agree more. We none of us can insure that life goes well although we can do our best.  Some start from such a disadvantage they can never catch up.  My heart sinks when I see yet another of these threads.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Raven

« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
I'd not even heard of Pension Credits when I ended up on my own  ::)  It was my daughter who helped me get them, as she's an Older Persons Advocate she knows all about the Benefit System. I was having to manage on £120 a week, I did but it meant being more than extra careful. it was only £20 a week but it helped.

What I don't understand is this vile attitude towards people like me.  :-[  Every week there's another outpouring of it.  :(

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:00:08 AM »
Completely agree !! there are many many reasons why people end up having to claim pension credit through no fault of their own. I certainly don't want to live in a society that does not look after the less fortunate, they are not all "scroungers".

Only a very small percentage in fact Bobcat.  The rise in the working poor is quite shocking.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

crabbyob

« Reply #34 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
i too was on it, and yes it made a big difference, Brian is simply a devils advocate, who keeps prodding, he can be annoying, but only if you actually listen to him...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
Brian is simply a devils advocate
Is that a Gaelic spelling? The English term is a lot shorter. I'm loathe to risk my favoured profanity censor ranking by spelling it out though. :)

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
Carer's allowance is an "income replacement" benefit as is the state pension, and you can not claim two "income replacement" benefits at the same time.

Just one caveat Bobcat.  If someone is on a low income it may be worth applying for Carers Allowance even though they will not receive the actual allowance.  If, for instance, if your State Pension is less than Carer's allowance (£64.60)  it will be topped up to the Carer's Allowance level by Carer Addition.  Even if  your income is above Carer Allowance but low you may, if you are eligible for CA but not receiving it, get a top up on other means tested allowances you are receiving.  As is often the case in our older generations, it is often women this affects. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
Carer's allowance is an "income replacement" benefit as is the state pension, and you can not claim two "income replacement" benefits at the same time.
Sorry - still don't follow the logic.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Phil

« Reply #38 on: Jul 23, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »
Sorry people but I find this Thread upsetting and cruel. I am one of those people who was on Pension Credits for a while AND, I worked hard all my life. My husband and I paid into a pension for our old age but it was in his name (my mistake) He divorced me just as he was about to retire and I lost everything, my home my lawyer made him sell and give me half but as the pension was in his name I lost it. I moved to a wee bungalow and still have it even though I spend a lot of time up North. I had to live on my State Pension and Pension Credits and it's well below £200 a week. I don't get them now because I have a partner even though I don't live with him 24/7 I spend several months spread out through the year in my own home, catching up with my kids, grandkids and friends. Where is my half of the pension? Some other female is claiming it, that's where it is and there's not a thing I can do about it, and believe me I've tried. So please tell me why the nasty attitude to people worse off than your self? You never know what's around the corner and what horrrible thing could happen, even to you.. >:(

You had a rubbish lawyer.

If the pension was earned during your marriage, you were entitled to a share of the pension.

It's covered  under the rules for matrimonial resources built up during the marriage.

I just hope your dummy of a lawyer didn't agree to a full & final consent order, that didn't include the pension, & you signed it without realising what you'd signed.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

fortyone

« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
Sorry - still don't follow the logic.
You can't receive both state pension and a carers allowance. There is no need for any specific logic it's what the rules say.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/carers-allowance/
If you get the State Pension you won’t be paid Carer’s Allowance. But don’t be put off making a claim, because if you’re eligible then you could be awarded extra Pension Credit or Housing Benefit instead.

Coastal

« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »
"Average" doesn't mean a thing with regards to anything unless it applies to you, there is a vast difference between the "average pension" and the "average pensioner" with regards to average pensions, people who are on a vastly inflated pension make the poorer ones seem better off.
I can't imagine (thankfully) what it must be like to scrape through every week on a pittance, any more than what it's like to be wealthy.
I think "averages" are just there to stop the really rich from feeling so guilty and looking bad.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
You can't receive both state pension and a carers allowance. There is no need for any specific logic it's what the rules say.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/carers-allowance/
If you get the State Pension you won’t be paid Carer’s Allowance. But don’t be put off making a claim, because if you’re eligible then you could be awarded extra Pension Credit or Housing Benefit instead.
i.e., the old saw 'there's no reason, it's just our policy.' I would emphasise that I was not personally affected, just seems unfair to me for those who are.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #42 on: Jul 23, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
If they didn't take £1356 in tax I would have got a little nearer that £500 week others on here are getting. 

Coastal

« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
I would guess that the majority of pensioners get well less than £500 per week to live on, and not much more to last a month.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Bobcat

« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £163 (for single people) or £248.80 (for couples).