Author Topic: Cut pension credit  (Read 13697 times)

crabbyob

Re: Cut pension credit
« Reply #75 on: Jul 26, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
agreed phil, so it should be a VAT as opposed to an income tax, if locally we achieved 1% on all sales, i think we might be looking at a goodly sum. and it would be fair to all, not hitting the guy who does a twelve hour day more than the pensioner, but hitting everyone as they spend...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

brian54

« Reply #76 on: Jul 26, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »
Another problem. Somebody I spoke to has pensions from 5 different employers outside Birmingham  and he now lives in Birmingham. He said when he retired about 17 years ago he said his income tax was a night mare.

Coastal

« Reply #77 on: Jul 26, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
It amazes me how many fairly well off people, moan about their financial "problems"
May I suggest they just give it all away .................... problem solved
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #78 on: Jul 26, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
It amazes me how many fairly well off people, moan about their financial "problems"
Well, I guess that it depends upon the definitions. I remember my late father, many years ago, deciding that nearly everybody was in financial difficulty, the difference being if you were hard up for £1 (this was the 1940s) or £1 million.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #79 on: Jul 26, 2018, 06:34:13 PM »

I think Coastal should give all his money away. I just get annoyed when people say I should not spend money on my daughters or granddaughters and I should spend it on other pensioners with grandsons.
As far as I am concerned girls are equally important to boys and if I had a son or grandson I would have treated them equally.

Alex22

« Reply #80 on: Jul 26, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
Watch the old Blood pressure Brian, you seem to get easily annoyed these days   ;D

Coastal

« Reply #81 on: Jul 26, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »
I am far from "well off" and I don't moan about money "problems", from not enough or too much, all I was trying to point out is, that not enough money is a lot more problematic than too much. I also have nothing against people being generous with their cash, and the gender of the recipient is neither here nor there.
But moaning about tax problems is in my opinion, just rubbing the less well off persons face in it.
When I retired I took the maximum lump sum to avoid paying tax on my pension, when I get the state pension I will have to pay some tax, but I won't be moaning about it, I'll just think how lucky I am compared to some others.

crabbyob

« Reply #82 on: Jul 26, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »
i remember complaining about tax the first time i paid it, and my father said he wished he was paying a thousand pounds a week..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Coastal

« Reply #83 on: Jul 26, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »
He nailed it  ;D

brian54

« Reply #84 on: Jul 27, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
i remember complaining about tax the first time i paid it, and my father said he wished he was paying a thousand pounds a week..
I find it annoying I pay all of my state pension back in tax.

Coastal

« Reply #85 on: Jul 27, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »
Well that's better than not enough income to pay any tax.

crabbyob

« Reply #86 on: Jul 27, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
and it would annoy me too
i on the other hand am tupence ha'penny below the tax band Coastal, but am quite content with what i get

Coastal

« Reply #87 on: Jul 27, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
I was thinking more about the people who are only on the basic state pension, and even though I've paid in from leaving school until 2015, my state pension forecast is currently showing about £14 per week less due to not paying anything in since May 2015 (unless I make up the difference currently over £1200)

brian54

« Reply #88 on: Jul 27, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »

I am paying over £100 a week and I am a pensioner.

Bill Stickers

« Reply #89 on: Jul 27, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »

I am paying over £100 a week and I am a pensioner.

Very prudent Brian, as you've iterated here before, you made good provision (and early on) for retirement and £32k plus is a good whack. Did you have the good fortune of a final salary scheme plan?

The assurance that morally your helping other lesser funded beings support their dogs, parrots, snakes etc must help you to sleep on these hot nights wer'e having - well done.