Author Topic: Police messages.  (Read 1145 times)

Floydian

Police messages.
« on: Jul 25, 2018, 10:37:28 PM »
Did anyone else used to listen to police messages on short wave radio? It was illegal apparently but we occasionally used to tune in on a saturday night cos thats when it would be busiest. If memory serves, you only got half the conversation (the copper talking to base but not the other way round?)
If anyones interested there's some good apps you can download onto your device that let you listen in to various emergency services perfectly legally from all over the world (except uk). My favourite is called Scanner 911, it comes with all the numbered codes and what they mean that they use so you can tell what they're talking about, and you get the full two way conversation. I think the app cost me about sixty pence from the app store but chances are there'll be a free one somewhere if anyone wants to trial it.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Raven

Re: Police messages.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2018, 11:47:50 PM »
My husband sometimes used to listen to the police bands. He certainly picked up the gossip from them too.

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2018, 12:14:24 AM »
I dabbled once upon a life but, frankly, I'd really rather listen to the World Service...more interesting more of the time. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
do you actually own a radio Zoony?
i cant remember my last one, except the car radios of course
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »

I remember years ago picking up police messages by mistake on the radio. It was very daring back then and I said to Harry (my first husband) "Quick,turn it off.. We might get in to trouble."    ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
I listened in on a regular basis in the 70s & 80s.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
do you actually own a radio Zoony?
i cant remember my last one, except the car radios of course

Several actually ol' Crab, I listen from morn 'til eve. Much prefer it to TV.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
so whats your preferred station.....s
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »

The Police Station !
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2018, 08:30:21 PM »
 ;D ;D   It's usually radio four that's the background to my day. For some unknown reason I don't really like to listen to music stations.

cowboy wisdom.

Johned

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
I used to have an Air band radio with all the other FM channels also.  The only one I "trawled"  late one evening worthy of note was the voice of an American aircraft Captain "Hello Midland Radar, this is B52 Serial ??? fresh outta Wethersfield and we're cleared all the way through to Seattle so Good Night!"  Quite a long hop W to S!

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
;D ;D   It's usually radio four that's the background to my day. For some unknown reason I don't really like to listen to music stations.
I used to listen to that when driving to and from work. It was the inane chatter of the DJs that stopped me listening to music stations. My wife has Classic FM on most of the time we are in and that suits me too but I can't put up with any radio while driving around  town.

Alex22

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
I try to catch Nigel Farage on LBC, apart from that I only have the radio on in the car these days.

Coastal

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:22:19 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the music channels, I used to listen to Radio 4 Extra but it's only on DAB, my current car doesn't have DAB so there's only Radio 4 left, and then only ever in the car.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:56:32 PM »
Admittedly, Radio four is a curate's egg but I like hearing voices rather than somebody else's preferred musical taste. I find the radio gives me unconditional companionship.  ;)

cowboy wisdom.