Author Topic: cucumber sandwiches,  (Read 1737 times)

crabbyob

Re: cucumber sandwiches,
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2018, 11:13:45 AM »
i got one of those cucumber bottles unaware i thought it was ordinary lemonade
it is [censored]!!!
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
I bought a cheap electric soap dispenser ages ago. It came with a free bottle of cucumber fragrance soap. That went straight down the drain and it gets refilled with cheap anti-bacterial stuff.

granny moss

« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
Last evening I was not hungry and I must eat something before going to bed. So I thought I would have a marmalade sandwich....I just put my hand in the fridge and pulled out a jar. Made the sandwich....It was caramelised onion....! :o I do not like waste....so... ??? gmx

Coastal

« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »
Just be careful next time you want to add caramelised onions to your food, as marmalade might not be the ideal choice  ??? 
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

granny moss

« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
I can do even better than that...Once, I peeled the potatoes, put the pots in the bin and cooked the peelings in the pressure cooker.....anyone done similar?... :D   At Matalan, having fish and chips, I put sugar on the chips...instead of salt.... :D  gmx

Coastal

« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
Mine are usually time related, leaving the oven on after putting on low to keep fish & chips hot (over 24hrs)
Preheating the oven and setting the alarm for cooking time, having forgot to actually put it in the oven,
Drinking more than I should when cooking my Christmas turkey crown the night before, (my old timer only went up to an hour and I forgot to reset it) next day I realised my mistake (turkey was a bit pink, and I normally overcook everything) so all my turkey meals had to be reheated/cooked.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
During the war as most here will remember, lots of things were hard to come by. My father's favourite sweet was rice pudding, which mum used to bake in the oven, with a knob of hard come by butter and milk which resulted in  a lovely brown skin rising over the rice (there may have been sugar involved as well, but I don't recall). Obviously, that was a pretty extravagant dish for the time and was only produced on pretty rare occasions. One time mum served it up with an even more spectacular skin than normal (I actually preferred the skin to the rice, but that's kids for you!). As she dug the serving spoon in the skin collapsed - she'd forgotten to include the rice!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

prestbury

« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:09:48 PM »
Yep, or tuna with salad cream (beaten into it) or mayonnaise.
and a sprinkling of chilli flakes ;D

Yellowbird

« Reply #23 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »
Still so hot that for dinner tonight we are having cucumber and salmon sandwiches followed by Tescos delicious cherry pie and custard yummy
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

prestbury

« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2018, 11:29:01 PM »
Does anyone remember Heinz Cucumber Spread?

crabbyob

« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2018, 09:05:00 AM »
and very refreshing it was too
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

prestbury

« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »
Although it is generally not for sale in the UK, it is still popular on the continent especially Holland. Just found out that it can be ordered on Amazon, may give it a try and see if it is still as tasty.