Author Topic: school attendance of yester year,  (Read 1472 times)

Alfred

school attendance of yester year,
« on: Aug 10, 2018, 07:31:53 AM »

My wife was given a memento  left by her late aunt many years ago and recently she found this memento tucked away in a cardboard box, along with other items,

this particular memento is in the form of a school certificate in which her aunt attended school for one whole year and not having or missing a days schooling and the certificate was issued to her aunt along with other  children  who like wise hadn't missed a days school , and it was a ceremony of sorts , i assume trying to instil regular attendance,

Q; could you see this same method being played out today , or is it likely to see the return of school inspectors catching children playing truant,
have you any thoughts  on school attendance,??

Raven

Re: school attendance of yester year,
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
We had Truant Inspectors in our area and they were always on the prowl. The very thought of being caught by one was enough to stop me bunking off, and a double period of R.I. had me desperate to escape, but had my dad found out I'd been hauled in by one then I'd not be sitting down for several hours..

Bee

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »
I hated school with a vengeance and yes from time to time I did play truant but never got caught. ;D
The only way is up....

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
Me too Bee but I was lucky enough to have my 15th birthday during the summer holidays so I found a job and never went back.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bill Stickers

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
Q; could you see this same method being played out today , or is it likely to see the return of school inspectors catching children playing truant,
have you any thoughts  on school attendance,??

Inspectors - They'd need to be armed Alfred ;D

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »
...and be in pairs..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2018, 06:31:43 PM »
Me too Bee but I was lucky enough to have my 15th birthday during the summer holidays so I found a job and never went back.

Similar to myself zoony, I was 15 in the February, left school in March and started work the very next day, there I stayed for 9 1/2 years until I was 6 months pregnant with my first child. ;D
The only way is up....

Scrumpy

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »

It is known that a school around here will not allow kids to attend Prom/Leavers parties if they have been absent from school over the last twelve months..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Johned

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »
I remember even in the wartime, the attendance inspectors from the Lincolnshire Education Committee used to visit our school about twice a year and inspect the register.  I can vividly recall as I sat at the front of the class, the inspector peremptorily remarking to the headmaster on a boy's genuine absence through illness, "Why has he been off a week? Right he will be getting a home visit!"

brian54

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:04:33 PM »
Oddly my daughters were picked up by the pupil protection officers in Birmingham. They attended school in St Alban's at the time and it was closed because of teacher training day.
A friend of my daughters looked about 13 or 14 was in fact 20. She always carried her employers pass with her and driving licence as she was stopped a few times by the school attendance officers. She was also stopped a few times by the police for suspected under age driving.

Audrine

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
We moved from London N.Kensington in 1946 to Harrow Middlesex so I had to change schools. So boring & behind lessons of which I was doing well. I became so bored & played truant many times at my new school. Do I regret it, yes very much. I always remember that truant bloke who came on a regular basis. I don't know how I got away with it. Don't let your child get away with it. Audrine

Audrine

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »

So glad I can reply to some posts, others I cannot. I must be doing something wrong. Keep up your posts, I love to read through them although some I can't reply.

Johned

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:36:00 PM »
You think you are being very clever at the time but, of course, one is wiser when older.  At the very minor but pretentious public school I attended on a county grant I oft used to get a free lesson period just before lunch.  In my final school year before leaving in the summer, I used to slope off discreetly to the pub on the corner for a quick half or down to the local snooker hall with a few other like minded individuals.  We were all over sixteen and the masters and prefects must have well known where we were but they never bothered to check.  I think, in retrospect, they knew we were leaving and the school would be well rid of us!  I feel my education didn't begin until I got into Engineering years later after the loathed National Service.