Author Topic: Rough Sleepers,  (Read 5059 times)

Bee

Re: Rough Sleepers,
« Reply #75 on: Aug 16, 2018, 10:46:31 PM »
Good for your granddaughter Bee for showing some humanity.  A small act of kindness is worth so much!

Prestbury is right though. It's usually better to support organisations like the Salvation Army that make sure help gets to those who need it.

Thankyou Grannymac.

I understand what you are saying about the Salvation Army and Shelter has also been mentioned but  the night shelter in the nearest town to me, if the homeless do not register early enough at night, the places are soon taken up and people are turned away.

It really angers me that some people assume that all homeless people are either drug addicts or alcoholics and unless a person knows the circumstances of why a person is homeless it is very wrong in my opinion to generalise or pass judgement on them.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #76 on: Aug 17, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »
Hear, hear! The 'Sally Ann' is one of the charities I support - reading their newsletters is a very illuminating experience - as with the RAF Benevolent Fund which I mentioned in another thread (I think!)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

ronyork

« Reply #77 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
Many good people who contribute into the begging bowls perhaps do not realize they are making the situation worse by supporting these sleepers on our street,s it only encourages more and more to litter the pavement,s waiting for the free handout, perhaps if they were outside their property they might change their mind,s.

Sheila

« Reply #78 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »
I belong to a knitting group and we make hats for the homeless.  We give 100 to the local mission every year.  The mission give the homeless a Christmas dinner every year and some presents.  We also make things for the premature baby unit at the local hospital.  I have joined a Facebook group 'Handmade for Dementia' and we knit cannula sleeves.  People with dementia tend to pull their cannula out and the sleeves cover the cannula and have safe 'twiddles' to distract the patient.  This saves money for the NHS and distress to the nurses and patients.  Right I'll stop rambling and get another cuppa!

brian54

« Reply #79 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
I think there lot of profesional beggars in Sutton Coldfield. I have heard the storey about 6 times from different people that the person went ill on the street in Kings Norton and they were taken to Good Hope need bus fare to get back home.
I know a paramedic and he said the chances of them taking somebody from Kings Norton to Good Hope is almost nil.

GrannyMac

« Reply #80 on: Aug 17, 2018, 09:14:49 AM »
I belong to a knitting group and we make hats for the homeless.  We give 100 to the local mission every year.  The mission give the homeless a Christmas dinner every year and some presents.  We also make things for the premature baby unit at the local hospital.  I have joined a Facebook group 'Handmade for Dementia' and we knit cannula sleeves.  People with dementia tend to pull their cannula out and the sleeves cover the cannula and have safe 'twiddles' to distract the patient.  This saves money for the NHS and distress to the nurses and patients.  Right I'll stop rambling and get another cuppa!
Not rambling at all. Your group is making really worthwhile contributions to vulnerable people.

At Sheffield cathedral, homeless people who want to get off the street are helped. I support that project but I no longer give to individuals.  I know the project puts the money to good use.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #81 on: Aug 17, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
nice to see that more contributor's to this topic have what my mam would describe as "a good heart"  rather than those who seem to be overly judgmental.

crabbyob

« Reply #82 on: Aug 17, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
i think its an eye of the beholder thing... when i had a pub, we catered for weddings ect, and one Sat evening my phone rang, it was the local vicar who lived about 50 yards away in a new built manse, having sold the old manse for a very nice sum, anyway he was complaining about the noise from the disco [quite rightly if it was annoying him] but i pointed out it was the only night in the week when no-one had to get up early  ;D , he pointed out that he had to get up, and i said 'oh yes, that reminds me, about the racket you make with those bells every sunday morning' he hung up and never spoke to me again.... bloody moron... it was ok for him to make an unearthly racket every week but not for me to make one occasionally ... the ear of the beholder
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #83 on: Aug 17, 2018, 11:43:32 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D 

Bill Stickers

« Reply #84 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:06:22 PM »
nice to see that more contributor's to this topic have what my mam would describe as "a good heart"  rather than those who seem to be overly judgmental.

Hear hear, I agree, not all these people are bad, or spongers. I knew one in the States who was an academic (Classics) fallen on bad times following a stroke! He'd stay with us in the bitter cold and through a US senator that my employer sponsored I eventually got him help and a home as a part time lecturer. His agony with arthritis poor chap was dreadful to behold and being over there he couldn't afford medication, which we and others got for him. In between elderly neighbours with an annexe gave him a home and he reciprocated them by some gardening and general help, like shopping, car cleaning etc.

There was a great programme on TV last year, where 'celebrities' slept rough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4wYPlMSchtm6w0zYg0n7pbv/the-celebrities-facing-up-to-life-on-the-street

Willie Thorne cracked I remember and had to book in a hotel. Perhaps many on here will criticise me but seeing some of these poor souls with their ragged dogs, shivering in -10C is something I can't just walk past.

Bee

« Reply #85 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »
Hear hear, I agree, not all these people are bad, or spongers. I knew one in the States who was an academic (Classics) fallen on bad times following a stroke! He'd stay with us in the bitter cold and through a US senator that my employer sponsored I eventually got him help and a home as a part time lecturer. His agony with arthritis poor chap was dreadful to behold and being over there he couldn't afford medication, which we and others got for him. In between elderly neighbours with an annexe gave him a home and he reciprocated them by some gardening and general help, like shopping, car cleaning etc.

There was a great programme on TV last year, where 'celebrities' slept rough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4wYPlMSchtm6w0zYg0n7pbv/the-celebrities-facing-up-to-life-on-the-street

Willie Thorne cracked I remember and had to book in a hotel. Perhaps many on here will criticise me but seeing some of these poor souls with their ragged dogs, shivering in -10C is something I can't just walk past.

I quite agree with you there Bill.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #86 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
Me too
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sarahbilly 1

« Reply #87 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
nice post bill. shows we shouldn't judge others, in a negative way, without knowing the reasons for their predicament, everyone has a story.   

Bee

« Reply #88 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
Well said sarahbilly.
The only way is up....

zoony

« Reply #89 on: Aug 17, 2018, 04:57:29 PM »
Sadly, all this has been said many times without even putting a dent in the attitudes of the cold-hearted, unfeeling ranters who want them hosed off the streets.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.