Author Topic: Idris Bond  (Read 823 times)

zoony

Idris Bond
« on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
There seems to be a movement afoot to make Idris Elba the next James Bond. Daft, I calls it. Bond is a classic character written as a certain type of Englishman at a certain time. I like Elba and have enjoyed what I've seen him in so by all means give him the lead in a good espionage film but not James Bond.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

Re: Idris Bond
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
Sean Connery didn't really fit either, but he was my favourite Bond!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
I thought Sean Connery was the best Bond ever too !   I love Idris Elba and can't wait for Luther to return, but I don't see him as a James Bond - then again who would have thought they'd have a female Dr Who ?  ;D ;D

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
I thought he was great too Mac I just don't see a black guy in that part. Strikes me as a bums-on-seats stunt to get more non-white people to go to see Bond films. Something the demographics indicate would swell the studio's coffers.

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »
There seems to be a movement afoot to make Idris Elba the next James Bond. Daft, I calls it. Bond is a classic character written as a certain type of Englishman at a certain time. I like Elba and have enjoyed what I've seen him in so by all means give him the lead in a good espionage film but not James Bond.

If Bond is a certain type of Englishman, why was the first Bond played by a Scot with a speech impediment?

Anyway, although I've never seen a Bond movie, the TV trailers for the sequels all seemed to show Bond moving with the times so I see no reason why Idris Elba shouldn't be bond.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
Well, apparently his father (Bond's) came from Glencoe and his mother was Swiss. I might be wrong but Bond was a Naval Commander during WW2 and I don't think it would be realistic casting. Like having Errol Flynn playing Othello..

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:18:16 AM »
I thought Sean Connery was the best Bond ever too !   I love Idris Elba and can't wait for Luther to return, but I don't see him as a James Bond - then again who would have thought they'd have a female Dr Who ?  ;D ;D
I was a Dr Who fan but I refuse to watch a female Dr Who, someone at the BBC has overdosed on PC tablets, same goes for Idris (a very good actor) but not as Bond, it does make you wonder what's next, maybe transgender Spiderperson, Superperson, Wonder Person, or even Ms Marple?
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:01:11 AM »

I don’t think casting Idris Elba as 007 goes far enough to satisfy the diversity police.

Whoopi Goldberg as 007 would be a better choice with Julian Clary as the “Bond girl”. Casting Eddie Izzard as “M” and Jackie Chan as Miss Moneypenny would be the icing on the cake.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:25:07 AM »
I was a Dr Who fan but I refuse to watch a female Dr Who, someone at the BBC has overdosed on PC tablets, same goes for Idris (a very good actor) but not as Bond, it does make you wonder what's next, maybe transgender Spiderperson, Superperson, Wonder Person, or even Ms Marple?
My views exactly.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Nimby

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:31:25 AM »

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
in what book did it say his mother was Swiss Zoony i missed that...
i think there was a black and white Bond movie early doors, George Saunders brother played bond, very much the English gentleman.... i was always a Bond fan and think the latest Bond is very good as was the previous one... but the Roger Moore ones were almost slap-stick... i think the next one will be another unknown..
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
I think it's a question of horses for courses.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
I'm another one who thought Roger Moore was by far the worst Bond - I can never make up my mind as to whether he played it as violent comedy or comic violence, but I like neither.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:15:46 PM »
Oh, and his mangling of Bond apart, I liked RM as an actor.
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
lol...he was very good as the saint
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”