Author Topic: I thought everybody was wise to that sort of thing.  (Read 426 times)

brian54

I thought everybody was wise to that sort of thing.
« on: Aug 16, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »

A young driver was flashing his lights and signalling for me to speed up. I was driving at 30mph which was the speed limit.
He roared past me and slammed his brakes on when he got past.
Unfortunately for him I was aware of that trick and I slowed down as he passed.
I suddenly realised an unmarked police car was behind us and I let him overtake.
A few yards down the road he had been pulled in my the police car and the officer had his ticket book in his hand.
I had a job not to laugh.

Bill Stickers

Re: I thought everybody was wise to that sort of thing.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »
Have you noticed? You are beginning to repeat yourself, Brian.....
Just thought, I'd mention it.....

I think that Brian like me regards speed limits with respect. Consequently these days I'm constantly tailgated by impatient, disrespectful motorists and I never drive during School drop off/collection times. Here 'mumsnet' specials, driving monstrous 'Jeep' type conveyances are visibly intolerant in their manic dash to get their 'usual' spot near the gates. I expect his posts reflect the times he's experienced such rudeness and derision. For me its an experience every other time I drive nowadays. I hate it and am seriously considering selling my cars next year to escape these pigs.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »
Feel better now Bill?  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bill Stickers

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2018, 11:40:33 PM »
Feel better now Bill?  ;D

No just seriously sad to be honest Zoon, I was knocked off for doing 34mph in a 30 limit earlier this year. I had to attend a course  (cost £95) to avoid a stamp on my licence. I found the experience diminishing and at times patronising - 2 hours of admonishment by retiring ex traffic cops. The women I refer to, try to tailgate me out of the way. One overtook me on the wrong side of the road on a 'speed hump' last week, only 400 yards from her destination, but somehow they are never caught! We moved nearer to town to avoid exposure to driving a year ago and my wife supports my feelings. :(

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2018, 11:53:18 PM »
My sympathies..I get it.. but the thing is Bill, we can only supervise ourselves. Fretting about others behaviours, infuriating though they may be, is pointless and detrimental to ourselves. Zen bro, zen.. ( I paid the fine rather than endure the course... ;) )
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
Traffic lights are a pain. I stop on amber and in one case the motorist behind me followed me in to a car park and said 3 more cars can go through when a traffic light has changed to red. I passed my test in 1965 and I read the highway code occasionally and I can not find anything which says that. Probably somebody on this forum could enlighten me.

xetog

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »

No Brian, amber means stop, always has.  You can only proceed if already committed as it simply gives you time to clear the junction before allowing contra-traffic to flow safely.  However, I agree pretty much with Bill as my experience has been much the same (see elsewhere).  I did my speed awareness course a week ago.  That was run by an ex-police driver, who didn't like being challenged (which I did naturally 'cos that's the way I am when I think I am right ;D ).  Something I didn't realise is that if you are caught and allowed to attend a speed awareness course, there is no need to tell your insurer (this is official and agreed with the insurance industry regulator, I have a letter from the police to say this).

There were 24 people on our course, arranged 6 to a table.  It surprised me that the group was made up of mature and elderly men and much younger women, about 50/50.  I asked our lecturer about this and he said that this class was for those who had only exceeded the speed limit by a few mph and young men usually go much faster so go straight to 3 points and a fine.  However we had a young woman of about 30 on our table, a teacher and she was quite unrepentant.  She said she liked going fast and normally drove much faster than the 8mph she had been caught for.  Furthermore she had no intention to change her ways.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
I use public transport frequently while here at the van because it saves money and I'm in no great rush. I have noticed that amber lights don't apply to buses - presumably because they are so big that few choose to argue with them.

While at home I've seen that both lights and lane markings are entirely advisory for taxi drivers.

Johned

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
I was caught three MPH over the limit in Northamptonshire and opted to attend an awareness course held at Northampton FC ground board room.  The instructors were affable types who invited questions (one was an ex Fire Brigade driver).  Coffee and cream cakes were served gratis and revealing films were shown from speed cameras of the stupid things drivers do; the motorcyclist who had smeared mud over his rear number plate who flicked the vees at the camera in passing but was eventually apprehended and the dozy racing cyclist pedalling like fury down a steep hill in the city at 44 mph and was irate at being done for speeding with a pedal cycle!  As the instructor laconically pointed out if you are hit by a bike at that speed, you are dead.

Bill Stickers

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
No Brian, amber means stop, always has.  You can only proceed if already committed as it simply gives you time to clear the junction before allowing contra-traffic to flow safely.  However, I agree pretty much with Bill as my experience has been much the same (see elsewhere).  I did my speed awareness course a week ago.  That was run by an ex-police driver, who didn't like being challenged (which I did naturally 'cos that's the way I am when I think I am right ;D ).  Something I didn't realise is that if you are caught and allowed to attend a speed awareness course, there is no need to tell your insurer (this is official and agreed with the insurance industry regulator, I have a letter from the police to say this).

There were 24 people on our course, arranged 6 to a table.  It surprised me that the group was made up of mature and elderly men and much younger women, about 50/50.  I asked our lecturer about this and he said that this class was for those who had only exceeded the speed limit by a few mph and young men usually go much faster so go straight to 3 points and a fine.  However we had a young woman of about 30 on our table, a teacher and she was quite unrepentant.  She said she liked going fast and normally drove much faster than the 8mph she had been caught for. Furthermore she had no intention to change her ways. Mike.X

Mike, We had a young woman with exactly the same attitude as you describe on our course too. Since this event I now just shove the cruise controls on in my two cars in 30 limits and that's it. I find using the Smart engenders tailgating far more than when I use the Jag. I've had 3 Smarts since 2002, the first two were used throughout the years when I journeyed to Canary Wharf. I found then and now, on the deliberately rare occasions that I have driven in the City of London that tolerance for my small machine is far greater.

I think 'live and let live' exists in major conurbations to a higher degree, probably because of the manic congestion, there are exceptions of course! When we moved to Lincolnshire 3 years ago, I was shocked at the selfishness and yes, sheer madness of the average driver. They have big smashes up here as a consequence. The roads are far more open (mainly three lane) and the Police scarce, so they seem to feel that do as thou want shall be the law. Also there's very little giving way etc and generally (always with women) there's little acknowledgement for allowing a car to pass at a road junction etc. I try now to avoid this lifetime habit of good manners, but struggle and feel frustrated at relenting to my subconscious proclivity when I do!

Like you I queried things, particularly statistics when being lectured over my 4mph excess. The response was pious to be polite. In fact since this event I am left feeling very ante to the Police in general. It seems to me they have created 'Speed Awareness Courses' as a nice little preambulation into retirement and whenever their 'audiences' are declining, they instruct the lads to grab a few more old mugs for financial preening, in the self interest of sustaining a nice little number! I now drive less than 2,500 miles a year, since the move thank goodness.

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
I think the best thing, if you have one of those adjustable speed llimiters, is to use it! Also use a GPS dash camera. That way you have some things on your side.