Author Topic: How can I convince a lady it is not the end of life being made a pensioner at 57  (Read 754 times)

brian54

A lady I once worked with is being made redundant at 57 and is going to be paid nearly two thirds of her London salary as a pension index linked.
As far as I am concerned she can sell her London flat and get a nice house 50 miles from London near a main line station with the proceeds and have cash to spare.
I want to convince her there is more to life than work and London.
Probably some of the lady members of pensioners forum can help.

GrannyMac

Not me Brian. Thats way out of my league! I think you're the best person to advise her.  You can tell her all about your pension and your house and compare notes. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

brian54

Not me Brian. Thats way out of my league! I think you're the best person to advise her.  You can tell her all about your pension and your house and compare notes.

I don't think the finance is bothering her too much. I think it is the stigma of being a pensioner at 57.
Of course she could get a job if she wants. Another route she could leave her pension in the pension fund and have a larger pension later. Even if she does not need it now it is still nice to know it is there to take when required.

GrumpyOldFart

A lady I once worked with is being made redundant at 57 and is going to be paid nearly two thirds of her London salary as a pension index linked.
As far as I am concerned she can sell her London flat and get a nice house 50 miles from London near a main line station with the proceeds and have cash to spare.
I want to convince her there is more to life than work and London.
Probably some of the lady members of pensioners forum can help.

Rather than feel sorry for herself perhaps she would find fulfillment and purpose with with VSO ?

Sheila

I got a new part time job when I was 56 and was very happy in it for the following 8 years.  I had been working for one of the big banks but the pressure to sell became too intense (PPI etc.).  TBH I think the new company may have taken me on because I would not be taking maternity leave!  It was a small company and maternity leave would have affected them badly.

Traveller

It had always been my intention to retire at 56 not 65 and I would encourage anyone who is able to retire early to do so.  Similar to the lady in question, we sold up in Hampshire and headed back north where the house prices were much cheaper. Mrs.T and I considered part time jobs, but soon found that ....
1. we valued our new found freedom too much
2. other more interesting things soon filled any spare time
3. we could get by on my pension and investments.

That lady is very lucky (and I assume has a generous redundancy payment too). It may not seem like it, but it was possibly the best "career move" she could have made.

Some day in the distant future, she might also get a meagre state pension.
You'll have had your tea.

fortyone

How do people find the time to go to work? I can't remember how I did but do recall that everything other than work was one hell of a rush. I jacked it in early with only a small private pension and living on capital as my biggest private pension and of course the state pension didn't start till I was 65. My wife got her state pension just before me.

Ashy

At 57 she's young enough to get another job and contribute to a pension scheme.

brian54

At 57 she's young enough to get another job and contribute to a pension scheme.

You are correct.
Somebody else I know got his pension / redundancy at 57 after 40 years of service.
He then went to work for Sandwell Council and built up a nice pension there as well.
He had all of his council salary paid in to the council pension scheme and he lived on his pension from his previous employer and savings,

Traveller

He had all of his council salary paid in to the council pension scheme and he lived on his pension from his previous employer and savings

That's the way to go - be the richest corpse in the graveyard. 
You'll have had your tea.

Yellowbird

Don’t see how you could convince her, it is the end of an era and can be depressing. Having to order a stair lift has depressed me, especially today, they came to do the electrics for the lift and are drilling my lovely mahogany staircase, ah well suppose theres more to life than mahogany staircases.
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

ronyork

Retired at 54, why work you will manage , just got to think a new way of life.

Bill Stickers

You are correct.
Somebody else I know got his pension / redundancy at 57 after 40 years of service.
He then went to work for Sandwell Council and built up a nice pension there as well.
He had all of his council salary paid in to the council pension scheme and he lived on his pension from his previous employer and savings,

A good man obviously. Reticular pension plans are obviously the way to go, hope he lives long enough to indulge his wealth, but even if he doesn't;

1) He had the security of knowing he was OK in later life
2) He was independent and would never sink to begging or benefits
3) Although you haven't said it, he can hold his head up high, should he ever be on the Start line at the Gates of the 4am ensemble

Such values are priceless, as you of course understand Brian?

brian54

I was retired at 58 and ideally I would have liked to have got a part time job for a couple of years really to get  to know a few local people and to have a bit of structure to my life.
Sadly Dad needed care and this never happened. I was not looking for a great salary.
Dad died 3 months after my state pension started so I never worked again.
People keep saying I am a scrounger as I have never worked in Birmingham. The fact I worked in London and bought a good pension back to Birmingham does not count.

prestbury

How do people find the time to go to work? I can't remember how I did but do recall that everything other than work was one hell of a rush.
Same with me. I still cannot find enough hours in the day since retiring but it still beats working ;D