Author Topic: Lyons restaurants  (Read 2205 times)

crabbyob

Re: Lyons restaurants
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »
i used to work at the cumberland hotel at marble arch in the early sixties owned by lyons, and while it was very posh above the stairs, below stairs it was very difficult to find a Brit never mind english... but on the bright side the Maltese chambermaids were very nice
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bill Stickers

« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
The Prostitutes’ Padre Harold Davidson and the Lyons Corner House in Coventry Street
http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/2011/02/the-prostitutes-padre-harold-davidson-and-the-lyons-corner-house-in-coventry-street/

A long read but interesting.

Thanks Bee, very interesting read and ties in with my reference to The Tracadero's previous past to :)

Bee

« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
You're welcome Bill, pleased you found it interesting. :)
The only way is up....

Audrine

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
I remember those ABC restaurants. Not quite the same as Lyons were they. Good imitation though. I am sure they were the first to disappear before Lyons.
Its early morning here so I wish you all the best for a good rest of your day. probably p.m. over there. Audrine

granny moss

« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
The last I remember of Lyons corner house....in Norwich the Walk, we took our children for tea and cakes many times. Remember the large tea urns ...
Always such a nice place to go for afternoon tea. 1960-70, I think  ??? The waitresses in black with tiny white pinny and head band.... gmx

ronyork

« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
As a child in around 1945+ our xmas treat to Oxford street London to look in shop windows, no buying, then the treat, a visit to Lyon,s corner house for tea served by a nippy dressed in black and white trim, then on to Gamages in High Holbon to view the wonderful train layouts. Again no buying, this wonderful store is long gone.

crabbyob

« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
yes ron all us kids from yesteryear had flat noses with pressing them against windows
but as they say.... happy days
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

ronyork

« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2018, 10:11:06 AM »
Yes happy day,s, Not an I want society, We had what our parents could afford!.

crabbyob

« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »
but only if you were good
as if...lol

granny moss

« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Remember GAMAGES !!!! Oh what a store ! and at Christmas, all those lovely not made in China toys ! I truly loved London in the 50s ! and not a knife stubbing in sight.......and the Bobbies with their Black tall helmets....Happy days and we were so young !....gmx