Author Topic: Not saving for future care needs.  (Read 1010 times)

brian54

Not saving for future care needs.
« on: Aug 20, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfinance/over-55s-‘not-saving-for-future-care-needs’/ar-BBM8Rfd?ocid=spartandhp

Somebody I know is single and rents his home and has a new car every year.
What incentive is there for him to save for care?.
As far as he is concerned his council would have to pick up his care costs.

ronyork

Re: Not saving for future care needs.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »
I am looking at care home fee,s, as Audrey is getting  lot worse with her dementia, Quotes from around £900/ to £1300, a week, why did we save I also know folk with more money, upper market housing, who are getting care paid for we have tried for continuing health care but have been refused (we have saved) I meet one of these people who attends our alzimers meetings who gets all care home fees paid ,arrives in her new .B.M.W, . It appears she employed a solicitor with her application for health care.  I am again appealing the decision.

brian54

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »

The social worker was annoyed when I got CHC funding for Dad because I was living with him and a tenants in common owner of the house.
She even suggested I use some of the funds from my house sale in London.
Dad was however dangerous due to his strength, The social worker even said he could be let out and could kill a child and I would be responsible.

Bill Stickers

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
The social worker was annoyed when I got CHC funding for Dad because I was living with him and a tenants in common owner of the house.
She even suggested I use some of the funds from my house sale in London.
Dad was however dangerous due to his strength, The social worker even said he could be let out and could kill a child and I would be responsible.

Did he play Ice, or Field Hockey Brian?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »
Don't know what you said, but I had been in that position my response would have been on the lines 'No - you are telling me he is potentially dangerous. I have no facility to keep him safe so I am formally advising you - and I will lodge an affidavit with my solicitor -- that that have advised you of the potential situation. Your move,'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
What incentive is there for him to save for care?.
As far as he is concerned his council would have to pick up his care costs.
Brian,
As far as I am able to discover, only 1 in 10 of us will have a charge of any kind on our estate as a consequence of Care Costs.
Half of us will never have an income that allows us to save for Care or for the Childrens inheritance.  So 8 in 20 of us will be able to pass our assets on to our children or the cat's-home if we chose to save. 10 in 20 won't have any savings or assets.
You'd think, on balance, there were good reasons for those cabable of saving to save.  But in practise, it is well known that many of us capable of saving don't, or save and spend the proceeds in fear of the saving being consumed in Care Costs, or transfer the assets to our Children in fear of the savings being consumed in Care Costs.
it is currently a huge problem for the government that a good portion of those who should have assets to cover care costs have either spent the asset or transferred the asset in a timely fashion to the kids. 
Hence, the Dementia ISA, which is supposed to motivate people to keep assets in their own names.  Personally, I don't think the Dementia ISA will change behaviours. 
I can't understand why anyone would give up the luxary of having savings or assets in their own name for their own use, when there is only a 1 in 5 chance of them being touched for Care Costs.  For those of use with assets, there is still a 4 in 5 chance of passing the lot on to the kids in the form of an inheritance.  I suspect I'm in the minority holding this view.

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »

Dad had no cash savings in the form of cash.
Mum worked and a lady she worked with died in her early 40's and her husband married again and all of their estate went to the new family.
Mum was not prepared to let this happen so she split the house in to tenants in common ownership and due to circumstances I went to live in that house.
This annoyed the social worker as the house could not be sold.
Another matter. I was over 60 when care was proposed for my father so I could not be turfed out,