Author Topic: school dinners,  (Read 7592 times)

fortyone

Re: school dinners,
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
Talk of runny custard reminds me that my mother was never much of a cook. She once made a jelly trifle and topped it with tinned custard.

little bob

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »

I didn't have many school dinners as I only lived 100yards from the school "juniors" so I went home
--and many a time about 4 of us would go to the colliery canteen which was only 10 minutes away we
would get a mug of tea,basin of pea and ham soup and a large Kit-Kat for 9d --only trouble was that it got quite windy in the classroom later on.

crabbyob

« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
i too got took to the colliery by my grand-dad when he was on afters, we went to the wages window where he got his wages, i also got a pay-packet, but i wasnt on full wages    ;D  we then called at the canteen where i got a wee bottle of milk and a pit bun.. that was the spittal pit at Blantyre [David Livingston's birthplace]
which pits canteen did you attend little Bob?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

little bob

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
i too got took to the colliery by my grand-dad when he was on afters, we went to the wages window where he got his wages, i also got a pay-packet, but i wasnt on full wages   ;D  we then called at the canteen where i got a wee bottle of milk and a pit bun.. that was the spittal pit at Blantyre [David Livingston's birthplace]
which pits canteen did you attend little Bob?

Bold Colliery in Lancashire--many happy memories  ;)

ronyork

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »
School dinners 1940/ 46 ,All I seem to remember was some form of mince followed by cemalina ?

Scrumpy

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:57:06 PM »
What about frogs spawn.!  I think it was tapioca..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »
I took butties to school,  the smell of school dinners (particularly the cabbage) used to make me heave !  ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
If tha cant eat it wi knife and fawk, its no proper custard
Mike  ;D ;D ;D
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Coastal

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »
Thick custard is only good for one thing ............ TRIFLE  

Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Audrine

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:06:57 PM »
I went home for lunch when I lived in Kensington. In my Harrow school I usually had lunch in the school lunch room. They served prunes & custard with every meal,I can't stand the sight of it now. The custard was usually burnt. You would think they could hire women who could make a decent custard for us kids.

Johned

« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
A favourite sweet of the menu planners as I recall was Chocolate Semolina.  This sludge was barely edible and earned many choice comments from the kids as to its' suspected provenance from the human digestive system!  I never minded Prunes and Custard which was frequently on offer.  The only other experience I have had of communal dining other than School and the British Restaurant was in the Army.  Not too much to complain about regarding food in my National Service.  Our Colonel was a bit of a martinet but he used to incur the wrath and hatred of the Cook Sergeant by attending the kitchens every morning and watching the cooks preparing lunch with the good old Catering Corps motto in mind "If it's smoking, it's cooking; if it's burning, it's done!"  Fish and Chips on a Friday teatime were very good, as was the various combinations of Stew.  One sweet I could never become reconciled to however.  In order to use up all the old stale dry bread; the slices would be put in a large panikin, covered with attractive looking piecrust and this concoction was served up with generous dollops of custard.  The unwary "customer" thought there might be apple or fruit of some kin therein but no such luck; it was practically inedible! 

Ode Iron

« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
Throughout my school life i was taught by nuns..the Sisters of 'have' no Mercy as i called them.
I disliked School milk snd handed me bottle and waxed straw to a poor kid. But this was the 1960's where Waste Not Want Not still ruled.
Before each lunch- a chunk of raw veg had to be eaten...( i still like raw veg today.)A noggin of turnip or cabbage..no problem as i came from a house that had PLJ as a pop drink!
Fave dinners were Beef Cobbler, Chicken Supreme and Spam and Chips.
Puddings were equally as nice.
Caramel Tart, Bakewell Tart or Treacle Sponge...one Dinner Lady i knew well- her husband had escaped capture by the Germans through the Lifeline system and he knew my Dad from their time in the RAF...always got an extra shovel of chips...had hollow legs them days.
Masks are muzzles

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:53:58 PM »
..Enjoyed the school dinners at Primary school but was luckier at Secondary as we were allowed out at lunchtime. My mum worked lunch-times at the local chippy which had a warm, steamy cafe above the shop. I could have whatever I wished as long as I finished it.  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bumblyari

« Reply #28 on: Aug 13, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
 Although it’s well over 50 years ago, my school dinners are still etched into my memory, probably because the menu hardly ever changed from one week/year to the next.
Monday was a sort of savoury mince stew (known as ‘splodge’) followed by chocolate sponge and custard which was ok.
Tuesday was roast beef – transparent, wafer thin slices with a slab of stodgy Yorkshire pud ¼ inch thick. Prunes and custard for afters which hardly anyone ate except for one kid who had a whole bowl full one day. We didn’t see him again all afternoon.
Wednesday was minced beef pie (possibly made from Monday’s left over splodge) with rice pudding for afters. The rice pudding however was basically a bowl of warm milk with great gobs of congealed rice floating in it (known naturally as ‘ricebergs’ and probably capable of sinking the Titanic).
Thursday was some sort of gristly meat with rhubarb for pudding.
Friday of course was bony fish and mash usually with lemon curd sponge for pud which again was ok.  
Six years without a single chip  :(  
Nostalgia - dreaming of it being like it was when you dreamt of it being like it is now

zoony

« Reply #29 on: Aug 13, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
Hi Bumblyari. Welcome to PF. One of our members was a dinner lady, you can blame 'er, mate.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.