Author Topic: Recent holiday in the Lake district..  (Read 1860 times)

Traveller

Recent holiday in the Lake district..
« on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
A few Pics from my recent trip....
You'll have had your tea.

Traveller

Re: Recent holiday in the Lake district..
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »
A few more pics...

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
Stopped off at Gretna Green.  This is the Old Blacksmith's shop where people would elope to.

Bee

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »
Lovely photos Traveller, thankyou.
The only way is up....

Audrine

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
Great pics Traveller, Where & what is the history of the castle? What a wonderful holiday you must have had.

firenze

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »
Traveller...super pics Thankyou! Spent many happy hols on and by the Lakes. Way back in the 60s on a boat my young son the skipper, he was in charge of the Canberra! Chugging to the point where the Lake met the sea so we reached choppy water. Lovely, rather think the Lake may be overcrowded now.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
Great pics Traveller, Where & what is the history of the castle? What a wonderful holiday you must have had.

Thanks Audrine.  Yes, it wasn't a bad holiday, but very busy.  I think all us Seniors must have waited till the kids were back at school and then headed for the lakes!

As for Wray castle....
Although it is said that the house was built in 1840 for a retired Liverpudlian surgeon, James Dawson, who built it along with the neighbouring Wray Church using his wife's fortune, this is not strictly true.

(During the tour, it was stressed that as a condition of the inheritance, it was the wife, Margaret Dawson,  who exclusively controlled the finances as a Femme Sole ie a woman whose legal subordination to her husband had been invalidated by a trust, a prenuptial agreement, or a judicial decision. 

A copy of the will displayed in the castle confirms this. Her husband was excluded from accessing the money.  This was very uncommon in the 1800's )

After Dawson's death in 1875 the estate was inherited by his fifteen year old nephew, Edward Preston Rawnsley. In 1877 Edward's cousin, Hardwicke Rawnsley, took up the appointment of vicar of Wray Church.

To protect the countryside from damaging development, Hardwicke Rawnsley, following a suggestion by John Ruskin, conceived of a National Trust that could buy and preserve places of natural beauty and historic interest for the nation.

The castle has had a number of owners over the years before being taken over by the National Trust who are developing it as a tourist attraction.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2018, 05:44:28 PM »
Lovely photos Traveller, it must be nearly 50 years since I was at Gretna !   ;D

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »
Wonderful Photos, looks like you had a grand time too.  :D

Audrine

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks Traveller, that was a great history lesson on that wonderful castle.
I am an ex history high school teacher & adore all what is known about them. How lucky you & your wife were to actually visit such an historic place. Thanks again.

fortyone

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
Nice pics indeed. I've only been to the Lakes once and that was in a campervan. We moved up to Scotland for our second week.

little bob

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
Nice pics  only been there once many ye ;) ars ago.

Floydian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
We've also had a trip on the "teal" (the ferry boat), again it was years ago when our daughters were very young. We visited the beatrix potter museum and took the boat trip across to ambleside. It's a lovely part of the country.We were actually staying in morecambe and just went over to (i think) windermere for the day. Definitely time for another visit so i'll add it to the list!
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Traveller

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
We first visited the Lakes 46 years ago and it was much quieter then.  You could actually park for free most places and enjoy a bit of peace and quiet.   It's so busy now that I would only visit off season.  Trouble is that many attractions are closed for the winter.

You mention Beatrix Potter  who stayed for some time at Wray castle (see earlier photo) and kept a detailed diary of her time there.  This provides much of the information that is known about life in the castle during the Dawson's residence.