Author Topic: fLEA CINEMA  (Read 2143 times)

Raven

Re: fLEA CINEMA
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
Think the Chinese Carryouts were just starting up then..

Yellowbird

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »
Our flea pit was the Empire used to pay 9 pence go to the loo and return to the 1and 9s always worked
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
I haven't been to the cinema since "Murder on the Orient Express" but I prefer to sit at the front. I don't think they have different prices these days and most cinemas have small viewing rooms.

Audrine

« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
I am just amazed that the Electric cinema, in Portobello Road alias the Flea pit when I was a child is still going strong after being built in 1910; I mean before talking pictures. I wonder what kind of entertainment people watched then?

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:29:47 PM »
Silent ones... ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
That degree in the effing obvious being put to excellent use :)

Ashy

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »
Some of the silents included Charles Chaplin and that French bloke out of 'Hugo'.

crabbyob

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »
and the silents had Ena Sharples playing piano to give atmosphere
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
That degree in the effing obvious being put to excellent use :)

Hence the wink mate, hence the wink..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Johned

« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
Reminds me Yellowbird, way back in 1954.  Six of us soldier boys managed to get out of camp early to catch first house in one of the city cinemas, The Essoldo, sadly long since closed.  We were all in uniform as there was no time to change into civvies.  Pay day not being imminent, we were all just about broke and only just managed to stump up the shilling entrance for the cheapest seats.  The house lights went down and we all trooped out to the gents.  On returning, we had just comfortably settled ourselves down in the three bob seats at the rear of the auditorium when a large amazon like lady, focussed a powerful torch on us with the endearing words.  "Ayeup you lot, out of it and get back where you belong!"  Sheepishly six of her Majesty's finest wandered back to the front row to the chortles of numeerous civvies!

crabbyob

« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »
i take it this was before you underwent camouflage training?...lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Johned

« Reply #26 on: Sep 23, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
Nah crabbyob, best BD and we were all soft bellied clerks.

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
phew.... i was shocked at squadies going to the movies with.....squadies

Johned

« Reply #28 on: Sep 29, 2018, 06:30:12 PM »
I don't think I recall crabbyob, the girls exactly lining up to date squaddies on take home pay at that time of about a quid a week after deductions.  I was getting 16 bob only for a time as I had been "fined" by the tax office from my previous civilian employment for tax underpayment, not exactly my fault!  I recall on one pay parade, the paying out officer muttered to me "Like myself you must have a small private income to warrant the extra tax!"  How wrong he was but at the time I was a potential officer so he thought I had a bit of cash on the side.  And I packed in the idea of a commission when I was taken aside by the Company Commander who said, could I ask my dad to donate a few pounds weekly (he was willing but unable) toward my mess bills lol!  As it turned out, eventually after 18 months service, my lance corporal stripe paid me the same weekly as a second lieutenant £3/3/6d.