Author Topic: Twin sets.....  (Read 695 times)

granny moss

Twin sets.....
« on: Sep 23, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »
Remember Twin sets? Small shops repairing runs in nylon stockings?Woolworth when selling everything at 6d. ?   Bus conductors? Trolley buses?
Lyons tea Corner houses and the big tea urns? The waitresses in black with small white aprons and head bands ? The stores with the money boxes that travelled up to the cash point? The thick yellow smelly nasty London pea super fogs ? and many more....gmx

Michael Rolls

Re: Twin sets.....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
Never had any experience of nylon stockings being mended, but I remember all the test - especially the pea soupers.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
I lived in Scotland until 1970, no peasoupers, no Lyons Corner Houses or trolley buses.  There were trams when i was wee, then buses with conductors whose stock phrase was 'c'mon, get aff'.  The department stores had tubes that sucked up a container with your money, then sent it back with the change and receipt. Very civilised.

String bags, hairnets, fathers doing 'the pools' on a Saturday, and playing in the street, where a car was a novelty. Nipping to the shop at the top of our street for a block of ice cream to go with the tinned fruit was a real treat, as was getting a postal order from my auntie in Edinburgh when it was my birthday.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »

playing in the street, where a car was a novelty.
When we moved to Priory Road, Hampton, the road had 163 house - I remember that because a friend lived in the very last house. There were just three cars in the road and one of those was a self-employed taxi driver. Visited the road for nostalgia's sake before moving up here in 2003 - cars parked along its length both sides of the road - quite a task to be actually able to drive along it because the space left was only JUST wide enough for two cars to pass each other with care.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:35:45 AM »
I remember our Woolworths having the electric lights put in. They kept the gas lights up for couple of years if I recall correctly, as if they didn't trust the new technology.

Come to think of it, you never see a horse with the nosebag on these days.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
I've lived in Scotland all my life so several of the things you mentioned I never knew, or even heard of. But I used to love Woolworths when I was a wee lass, it was a treasure trove to be explored.  ;D

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »

Everyone traded with real money.. The Tally Man would be a good friend... The Rent Man was dreaded by many and The Gas Man welcomed by all..
The School Board man did the rounds every so often..
All these men seemed to look the same.. Short.. dressed in black.. Wearing glasses...
 A bit like Mr Ben.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »
All with Wee Man Syndrome no doubt lol. lol. Wee Hitlers all.  :o

Audrine

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
What great memories. I worked at Woolworths in Pinner on a Saturday & loved it. I don't remember how much I was paid probably a mere pittance but it was fun.

I remember our next door neighbour came in one Saturday who was the biggest snob. I hid behind the counter so she wouldn't see me. Why I don't know, as if working in Woolworths was something to be ashamed of. I was 14 years old I believe.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »
and us mere males got our haircut every two weeks whether we need it cut or not, and mostly only got bathed once a week... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06:01:03 AM »
In the morning, on train and buses, young women in curlers with head scarves...the Queen used head scarves a lot !!! The women busy knitting!!!!Bus conductors ringing the bell....Penny for the toilets....I still use the phrase: Going to spend a penny......gmx

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »
But we did get pea-soupers Granny Mac
certainly in Glasgow in the fifties
but they were certainly bad down here
my mate and i went on one date with two girls from Armthorpe [made in-famous by Kevin Keegan]...mmmm sounds like he made the girls famous  ;D ]
anyway we were sitting in the club enjoying some Scots guy [i made that bit up Granny  ;D ] and two guys came in, the buses had stopped because of the fog... my god, we had to walk from Armthorpe to Scawthorpe and got home about one...no Zoony no result  ??? [/i]
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
My heart bleeds for you mate. I walked back from dates many times, often cold and wet cos my dad told me to always make sure the girl got home safely and my last bus was earlier than many.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.