Author Topic: Jealousy and 'hatred'  (Read 2186 times)

Ashy

Re: Jealousy and 'hatred'
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »
Unfortunately the Germans got the idea quite early on. Didn't they sink the Lusitania?

Audrine

« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
I did much like the film Casablanca. Humphrey Bogart is not sexy & I couldn't see any woman madly in love with him. Sound of Music not my cup of tea either. Sorry !

My very favourite film that I watch a lot is called A Man &
A Woman. a french film,quite old but so romantic & the stars are very good looking Jean Louis Trintignant & Anouk Aimee. Lovely film made in the fifties in Paris. I am rather partial to French films because I am a Francophile.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2018, 08:28:14 PM »
Rather strange Traveller that Mrs Von Trapp was an English lady whose grandad invented the torpedo.  Thinking of the Von Trapps remote connection with a form of showbiz, paradoxically the screen beauty Hedy Lamarr and a partner improved the guidance system of American torpedoes during WW2.  Besides being a lovely lady with alluring, limpid eyes she was in another persona a brilliant Engineer. A good thing she fled from Nazi Germany. Not many people know that!

Perhaps more than you think John. There's a film called 'Bombshell', made in 2017, that is more or less a bio-pic of Hedy Lamarr and goes into her top-class scientific work.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #18 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Rather strange Traveller that Mrs Von Trapp was an English lady whose grandad invented the torpedo.  Thinking of the Von Trapps remote connection with a form of showbiz, paradoxically the screen beauty Hedy Lamarr and a partner improved the guidance system of American torpedoes during WW2.  Besides being a lovely lady with alluring, limpid eyes she was in another persona a brilliant Engineer. A good thing she fled from Nazi Germany. Not many people know that!
I didn't know about Hedy Lamarr Johned, so much for dumb bombshells eh ?   ;D

Floydian

« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:03:57 PM »
Ha ha bombshells Alex, i see wot u did there...  ;D
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Audrine

« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »
I watched that Hedy Lamarr movie, quite interesting. She was quite an intelligent woman especially during the 2WW. She never got credit for her invention.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
BP, I wondered if you confused the Sound of Music with 'Cabaret' in which a blonde haired boy sings 'Tomorrow belongs to me' ?  Cabaret is one of my favourite films. 
Traveller,
You might well be right - perhaps, I am confused.  But my lothing of SoM changes not one jot - as I say, a strange film that puts one on the side of the Nazis, the reason being the finger-down-the-throat Von Trappes.
Caberet (from the book by Christopher Isherwood) is one of my favourite films too. 

crabbyob

« Reply #22 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
i have never seen the S.of M. and was never a Bogie fan, he suffered fro Reflux and often had white powder at the corner of his mouth from the bismuth he took... i dont think Tagamet were invented in those days
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:10:12 PM »
I did much like the film Casablanca. Humphrey Bogart is not sexy & I couldn't see any woman madly in love with him. Sound of Music not my cup of tea either. Sorry !
Audrine,
Mind you, let me explain why I found his wife Lauren Bacall extraordinarily sexy - then again, better not, the contribution will probably be censored.

crabbyob

« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:13:19 PM »
sex on legs mate
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
I watched that Hedy Lamarr movie, quite interesting. She was quite an intelligent woman especially during the 2WW. She never got credit for her invention.

She did eventually Audrine. Too late to benefit unfortunately as the patent had run out but she's widely recognized as the mother of US Air Force radio security systems. Today used at the highest level of nuclear defense capabilities still based on her original idea of 'frequency hopping' to make interception impossible.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.