Author Topic: farmers market/s  (Read 1504 times)

Alfred

farmers market/s
« on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »

Every week in south end  high street there is what's called a farmers market and of course you can buy an assortment of items , although there are a number of stalls , each week strolling through these stalls its the same old people and the same old merchandise.

some time back we had a day when  German products were sold off of stalls and of course when you arrived at some of the food stalls seeing bratwurst sausages , black bread. and a host of pastries and cakes at least it made a change then some where one of the stalls sold sausage rolls with onion , to which you could smell the onions long before you got to the stall, ??and the prices were dual marked in pounds and euros, 

so have the real farmers markets disappeared, as people we knew who lived in Lincoln shire then during the winter, had farmers driving tractors and trailers  delivering door to door particularly when the snow was too deep for people to get  out actually selling their own home grown produce, virtually a home delivery service that supermarkets provide today.

from a selection of everyday produce ,including vegetable's and selections of cuts of meat ,a blessing for any one who needed to get supplies in,

Q;  have you ever been to a real a farmers market where cattle was actually sold and every thing else in between  if so will you share your memories with us , i saw this once in Cambridge many years ago just after the war,
these people were very smart in providing a service and selling their own products as well

sparky

Re: farmers market/s
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Apart from our monthly village market, we have one in Moreton in Marsh, and one in Tewksbury, which I go to solely for yummy crab claws, but I doubt if many of any the stallholders from all three locations  have ever set foot on a farm.

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »
i had an uncle in Doncaster who had an allotment that he had turned into a piggery
it had two sty's both had concrete floors he put fresh sawdust i one corner for bedding and last weeks bedding was tossed into the lower corner as a toilet, we cleaned out the toilet sawdust every week and tossed the used bedding into that corner and supplied clean sawdust for fresh bedding... lol... why i am telling you this is he bought the pigs at market when they were little and kept them for twelve weeks then returned them to the market saturday morning, now there were hundreds of stalls in the market, and we could tell our pigs from the length of the hall, ours were the pink ones... when i first visited his piggery i asked about water for the animals, he pointed to a fifty gallon drum that was sunk into the floor with about six inches stuck up with a dustbin lid on top, i lifted the lid and the drum was filled to within a foot of the top... how do you fill it i asked, he pointed out it filled its self, in that area ground water was less than a foot below ground.... it seems the Askern market place, [a village just outside Doncaster] it seems the market place is at sea level ???????? all this in the centre of England, we should really be worried about global warming dont you think????
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
There's a "farmers market" once a month near me. Nothing but overpriced tat and foods.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
There's a supposed "farm shop" near our caravan. We looked in and they had some new in Jersey Royals. Now apart from the farm being about 300 miles away the price was £7 a kilo. I wanted to ask them if each spud was wrapped in gold foil but the boss wouldn't let me so we just walked out.

I haven't see a "veg on a flatbed truck" type farmers market in years and was never overly impressed with them anyway.

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »
when we have a farmers market in Doncaster the guy who used to plat the male nurse Martin Platt in Corra has a stand selling his own cheese
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

StephenM123

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »

I used to go to a local monthly farmers market but stopped years ago. The first issue I had was with the products. I was told the fruit went off quickly be cause it was organic and then there was an expose that showed in was non-organic sourced from a supermarket when it hit the "best before" date. Then I found the same make of cheese was cheaper in my local Waitrose and would have been stored better. I have been to food markets in both France and Germany - the quality and hygiene are far superior. The other issue I had was that the market grew but not with more produce but unrelated tat like candles and soaps.

The French and German markets that pop up a few times a year can be worth visiting as you can get something different.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
I was amused by the monster hot dogs the German Christmas market back home was selling the year before last. My wife declared them obscene and wouldn't have one which meant I didn't either. I think the council must have been too greedy because there wasn't one last year and I've heard nowt about one this year.

prestbury

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »
Must admit that farm shops in our area are pretty genuine and reasonably priced.
56lb sack of Maris Pipers for around £7, unfortunately too many for two of us to eat before they would go off. Relative prices for other fruit and vegetables

Family pork pie, hand raised for £2.50, delicious.
All meats freshly butchered and in many cases better value than the supermarkets.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2018, 12:20:25 AM »
Yep. Sounds like a proper-job farmer's market to me. (If you keep the spuds in their double-wrapped, brown paper sacks in a cool, dark place, they'll last well.)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »
Farmers's Markets up here are the real deal..

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:21:26 PM »
do they sell farmers... ;D

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
I've never seen any car boots for sale at a car boot sale so I'd guess that they maybe don't.

I suppose you might get some organic cream to relieve them though. :)

crabbyob

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
have you ever made an offer?... ;D

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
My father suffered with them (farmers). I always thought they were a bit of a joke until I had one. Luckily I've had no recurrence.

If you need something you might consider http://s.aliexpress.com/aQveyUby (not for snowflakes you have been warned). Found and sent to me by #1 son. Sometimes I worry about him. He asked me if I thought the before and after pics were on the retail packaging :)