Author Topic: Doing the pools  (Read 1032 times)

Audrine

Doing the pools
« on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:41:36 PM »
My Ddd used to spend several hours doing his pools. I don't think he ever won very much, but he loved pouring over the scores every week.

Do any of you do them & have you ever had a big winner!
What would you do with the money if you did win a large sum!
Is it taxable!

fortyone

Re: Doing the pools
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
I'm not even sure that the pools are still running these days. I can recall having an any 8 from 10 perm sometime in the 70s but packed up when whoever the collector was did.

I suspect that the lotteries have taken over from the pools these days. Despite suspecting that they are a tax on stupidity I still sometimes buy a lucky dip having stopped my regular numbers twice a week when they doubled the price to £2.

No idea what I'd do if I did win big but as the odds against it are huge I don't even think about it.

Are spot the balls still running? I stopped buying papers in the 70s too.

Floydian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:02:02 PM »
If you look on page 2 of the memory lane category i once posted a story titled 'my friend jack' which seemed to go down well at the time.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:05:52 PM »
i buy lucky dips on the euro lottery
every week i consider what i might do, its over a hundred million tomorrow night
can you even imagine it... good luck to all who dabble
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
My dad was a great believer in " doing the pools" every week when we were growing up. Never won though.  :-\

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »
Although we were pretty poor after my dad died, my mum did the pools every week - '3 draws' - although the prizes were small it offered the best chance of a win. She gambled 6d a week and on a couple of occasions won 10/- - sent her over the moon! To be fair, over time she lost out, but it kept her happy and as a widow with three kids to bring up on a pittance, she deserved some enjoyment.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

JCBDriver

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »
I remember my granddad doing the pools. Vernons I think it was. A collector used to come to the house and get his coupon and his 2/6. Dont remember him winning any thing at all!

As Audrine says I think the pleasure was derived from scrutinizing the teams and trying to predict the scores.

Never done it myself, not a gambler - my mum used to say "you never see a poor bookie". It can still be applied to day with the shift to the many forms of electronic/internet gambling.  The house always wins!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »
Oh, and we used to listen to the results on the radio Saturday evening. The pools included Scottish results and Vernon (my late brother) and I were fascinated when it was announced 'Forfar Five, Fife Four). Apparently that result happened recently and was claimed to be for the first time - but I can't imagine Vernon and I being bright enough to make it up!
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
Forfar four, East Fife five! As soon as I saw the title that came to mind.  ;)   I remember my dad listening to the results on the wireless on Saturday tea times.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Floydian

« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »
Jcb driver you took me back a bit there, that was one of my dads sayings about bookies, along with "they don't smoke my cigars..."
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Johned

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2018, 02:37:04 AM »
My dear old dad did Littlewoods regularly every week following the war, working out his forecasts with the most complicated mathematical formulations.  It did him little good; the only real win he achieved was about 1948 when he won £20.  He gave Mam and self a large white five pound note each and he retained the remaining tenner.  First time I had seen a white fiver!  He used to obtain a lot of advice from a paper "The Sporting Record."  In 1949 at Christmas they ran a junior painting competition and I won a copy of the book "The Swiss Family Robinson" which was delivered by post on Christmas morning.  I think I still have it upstairs in the old toy cupboard.  Now Mam and Dad are sadly long gone together with the poor old Sporting Record and I was 84 yesterday!

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2018, 02:50:39 AM »
Happy Birthday John...and many more mate.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
yes happy birthday, you made me smile by having an 'old' toy cupboard
do you also have a new toy cupboard...lol... i bet that old cupboard brings back so many memories... folks today will be having an old phone cupboard...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
Happy birthday for yesterday, John. Hope you had a good one
Mike

Audrine

« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »
Happy 84 th for yesterday John! audrine

Yes, I also remember my Dad & his weekly pools.