Author Topic: ist october  (Read 2364 times)

Alfred

ist october
« on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »

as its the first of October my wife says three white rabbits, three times, as i look on in wonder. ::)

Q; Do you have a saying for the first of each month,?????

Michael Rolls

Re: ist october
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:55:31 AM »
Veronica and I use to say (both trying to get it in first) 'Pinch, punch first of the month and no returns'. The response from the loser to ensure salvation was 'White rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits'. No idea where it came from, never thought to ask.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:12:52 AM »
and males are supposed to turn over any and all change in their pockets.. ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
I've heard of that, but never practised it
Mike

Floydian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »
Jeez, the month after next is christmas...
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
I hate the dark nights, I'm not too bad in October but once the clocks go back I hate it. Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb are pure misery for me. I need sunlight and get very down without it.
Also my poor dog is terrified of the dark, he knows when it's dark that the fireworks start and go on for weeks, he gets in a right state, sweating, shivering, and his heart is hammering like crazy, I'm worried he'll have a heart attack. He's nervous already about nipping outside for a last wee before bed and one of us has to stand at the back door with the light on and wait for him or he won't go. After he hears the first bang he won't even go out by himself..

Hugh

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
Fireworks start going off in October, and seem to carry on till the New year. Placing a lot of stress on wild life and pets.

Scrumpy

« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »

Aw!! A dog frightened of the dark..Poor love.

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
When we had yorkies one hid in the kitchen cupboard. We cleared it out and put a blanket in there for the season. Some dogs are terrified, some don't seem to care, and some are deaf.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
I hate the dark nights, I'm not too bad in October but once the clocks go back I hate it. Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb are pure misery for me. I need sunlight and get very down without it.
Also my poor dog is terrified of the dark, he knows when it's dark that the fireworks start and go on for weeks, he gets in a right state, sweating, shivering, and his heart is hammering like crazy, I'm worried he'll have a heart attack. He's nervous already about nipping outside for a last wee before bed and one of us has to stand at the back door with the light on and wait for him or he won't go. After he hears the first bang he won't even go out by himself..
Poor little mite - there are claimed 'cures' for such canine problems - have you tried any? Thankfully here out in the sticks we don't have the problem to any great extent, although Fleur seems to be now be immune - but only because she is now pretty deaf (15 next month).
Mike

JCBDriver

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »
My wife has a saying at month ends - "Have you been paid" - so she can implement the next months spending plan!

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Poor little mite - there are claimed 'cures' for such canine problems - have you tried any? Thankfully here out in the sticks we don't have the problem to any great extent, although Fleur seems to be now be immune - but only because she is now pretty deaf (15 next month).
Mike

We are also out in the Sticks but the Village is not too far away, and when it's so quiet at night like it is now the firework noise travels to us. Dageus is a nervy dog at the best of times but ever since his first firework bang he's terrified. He was 7 months when it happened and he was outside on his own at the bottom of the garden, it was very loud and exploded then echoed all around, he was in a right state as he shot into the house. I knew it was coming up and I'd expected him to be inside when they started going off, but as luck had it, he wasn't. When he's like this you can't do much with him he goes into fear mode and won't eat or drink, come for a cuddle, nothing. He just paces, and cries shaking and sweating. I wouldn't mind if it was just the one night like it used to be, I could deal with that but it goes on every night for weeks.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »
and males are supposed to turn over any and all change in their pockets.. ;D

I've heard of that, but never practised it
Mike

I've never heard of it, but on the presumable basis that it brings luck or wards off bad luck I should have done it this morning.

In addition to the swimming pool needing a new heating system, the firm have said it'll need a new filtration system within a couple of years so we've given them the go ahead to do the lot, which means a full drain-down & refill.

Then the BMW dealership phoned to say that in addition the the extended second service, one of the cars needs new front discs as one has become warped which causes the pads to bounce.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »

We are also out in the Sticks but the Village is not too far away, and when it's so quiet at night like it is now the firework noise travels to us. Dageus is a nervy dog at the best of times but ever since his first firework bang he's terrified. He was 7 months when it happened and he was outside on his own at the bottom of the garden, it was very loud and exploded then echoed all around, he was in a right state as he shot into the house. I knew it was coming up and I'd expected him to be inside when they started going off, but as luck had it, he wasn't. When he's like this you can't do much with him he goes into fear mode and won't eat or drink, come for a cuddle, nothing. He just paces, and cries shaking and sweating. I wouldn't mind if it was just the one night like it used to be, I could deal with that but it goes on every night for weeks.

Hi Raven. Have you tried anything like Mutt Muffs or doggy ear plugs? Might be worth a thought..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
Have you tried any of these, or similar products?

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Dog-Calming-Behaviour/c124/
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)