Author Topic: mantle-piece  (Read 803 times)

crabbyob

mantle-piece
« on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, table and indoor
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

crabbyob

Re: mantle-piece
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
or this if they had visitors
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
I see they've got a pair of "Wally dugs".
You'll have had your tea.

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »
Nice to see the two girls perusing proper books which we all did in years gone by.  Today they would be totally engrossed in playing mindless games or talking a load of tripe to their mates on their personal phones.  Has life progressed that much? 

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
well Johned, everything that can be measured or timed has progressed, so the stuff that cant be measured and are only compared by our memories, i would like to think have progressed...
 i remember as a boy going home from school an old family friend was waiting at the bus stop, where are you going he asked and when i told him 'home' he went crackers at me, his face was crimson with anger, that i was catching the bus for a bare two mile trip, he said i should be saving the tuppence and walking it home, i never argued nor pointed out that he was doing the self same journey, [he had fought in the trenches with my grandfather] lol what licence that gave him i know not, but i let him rant and got on the bus behind him, but as he went inside i went upstairs...lol
but reading what we write i can see a resemblance to the way he thought reprinted on this forum... i'm sure you can remember the old soldiers when you were a recruit.."thank god theres not a war, just imagine this lot defending the nation"..... but you did... didnt you?

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »
As a boy, I used to read 'The Eagle'.  Some years ago, I was given an Eagle book - a collection of articles from past years.  Anyone remember Dan Dare and Digby ?

While Digby was helping to save the universe in his futuristic rocket with ray guns etc.. there was an unflattering picture of Mrs. Digby  at home in Barnsley? with the children in front of the fireplace.  Take away the man and the tin bath and it could have been them in the first photo.  I wonder if Digby had to wash in a tin bath when he came back from defeating 'The Mekon'?

I thought the space agency could have provided them with a modern house  ???

You'll have had your tea.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »
for goodness sake traveller that WAS a modern house
cant you see the wally dugs...goodness
is that a packet of fags by the bath, or a TV remote?