Author Topic: Permission to drive  (Read 2627 times)

Audrine

Permission to drive
« on: Oct 08, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
Do you have an age limit on your driving license in the UK? I believe my Dad had to give up his license at the age of eigjhty. Upset him terribly to give up Betsy, the name of his car, an old rust bucket but he loved his independence.

However, you have good transportation over there, buses trains etc. Here you if you cant drive anymore you are up the creek.

Michael Rolls

Re: Permission to drive
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »
Define 'good transportation'. I am a half mile from the nearest bus route which takes an hour and a quarter to get to the major railway station in Dundee, or about 50 minutes to get the lesser one in Perth. The bus to Dundee is one an hour, the Perth bus about every 30 minutes.
It will be 14 years next month since my late wife an I moved here. During that time I hive used a bus twice - one return journey to Dundee - took a total of just over four hours to complete a journey and task I can do in a little over one hour by car. The other journey was into Perth to pick up a hire car.
Haven't got on a train in over 20 years.
My sister-in-law arrived yesterday to spend a few days with me. The train was delayed by an hour, cause unknown. The last time but one that she came up here her return journey dumped her at Newcastle (not on her normal route) for over an hour - again cause unknown.
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »
People who think they might need to use public transport need to plan. I chose to move back from a village to town soon before I retired and while I could still face the upheaval of a house move. Where I live now busses into town run every 10 minutes and the stops are less than 50 yards away. I also have local shops and supermarkets within easy walking distance. My granddaughter lives in a village 7 miles out from town and there are only a couple of probably expensive busses daily - pretty much the same as where I lived.

The town is on a mainline railway station but a 6 month contract in London was enough for me to decide to never accept another there despite the rates being 50-100% higher. I preferred to drive anything up to 90 miles each way for subsequent contracts. Judging by the continuing complaints about rail travel I see it still isn't fit for purpose.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2018, 10:06:19 AM by fortyone »

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »
People who think they might need to use public transport need to plan. I chose to move back from a village to town soon before I retired and while I could still face the upheaval of a house move. Where I live now busses into town run every 10 minutes and the stops are less than 50 yards away. I also have local shops and supermarkets within easy walking distance. My granddaughter lived in a village 7 miles out from town and there are only a couple of probably expensive busses daily - pretty much the same as where I lived.

The town is on a mainline railway station but a 6 month contract in London was enough for me to decide to never accept another there despite the rates being 50-100% higher. I preferred to drive anything up to 90 miles each way for subsequent contracts. Judging by the continuing complaints about rail travel I see it still isn't fit for purpose.

That sounds like sensible planning.
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

brian54

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »

I am 70 and I do take people to hospital a lot as well as my granddaughters to dentists etc.
My father drove till just after 90 and a drunk driver ran in to the back of his car when he was about 88.
That driver said Dad should have not been on the road but the other driver in his 30's was disqualified.
A drunk driver ran in to my car when I was in my 60's. He complained I was an old codger and should not be on the road. The police officer said I may be old but I would have a licence to drive.

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
to start my annual trip this year i need to get from Doncaster to London Heathrow, so i will catch a bus...lol... booked, the swines wont accept my bus pass...lol... the cost of my ticket is Ten pounds... my mate offered to drive me i pointed out it would cost over forty for petrol...
every hill has a down side

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
People who think they might need to use public transport need to plan. I chose to move back from a village to town soon before I retired and while I could still face the upheaval of a house move. Where I live now busses into town run every 10 minutes and the stops are less than 50 yards away. I also have local shops and supermarkets within easy walking distance. My granddaughter lives in a village 7 miles out from town and there are only a couple of probably expensive busses daily - pretty much the same as where I lived.

Couldn't agree more.  We did exactly the same. Buses, trams, doctor, hospital, shops, library, all accessible.  Our son lives in a lovely village, but there are no buses, no local shops within walking distance etc. Great whilst they are happy, and able, to drive everywhere, but it wouldn't suit me now.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

firenze

« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
Couldn't agree more, I moved where it was easy to walk into the old fashioned market town where local authorities have offices and  transport is readily available. It was right! I have even got rid of the car which was in itself a liability. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Audrine

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
You do have choices for getting some where without your car. Over here
none at all unless you live n a down town area.
Some of you are very wise to have moved places with no problems of no car. Wise people indeed.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
i live about a mile from the town centre
my son just informed me its 2 on the bus...as stated earlier i am paying ten pounds to heathrow from Doncaster

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »
Where is " over here" Audrine?  I came from a pretty village with pond and ducks and a population of high achievers.  I much prefer the unsophisticated and real Market Town where I now live.

Mark Twain.

Audrine

« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
Sorry Fir, I just assumed you knew I was talking about the USA. I believe transportation is very bad in most states, everyone depends on their cars to get around.  Seniors are not given a second thought if they lose their driving capabilities.In the UK you even have pass passes for seniors.

Don't mind me, it must be my moan a lot day.

firenze

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
Audrine... No idea you were over the pond, tell me where?  Automatically think everyone lives in Yorkshire!😄 

Mark Twain.

crabbyob

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
shes in Chicago mate, and will be fast asleep about now, i hope, sweet dreams

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
Ah - windy city - perhaps I should give her a visit eh crabby?  :)