Author Topic: Permission to drive  (Read 3304 times)

Scrumpy

Re: Permission to drive
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »

We do have a bus service  but at moment I am able to walk/drive..
I just wish everything was flat though.. I live in a valley.. I would love to live in a pretty market town..
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

Audrine

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »
I wish I did live in Chicago it has got to have better transportation for seniors than where I live in Missouri.
I hate the place for many reasons however, I should have known that before I moved here several years ago. I could drive then so things were not so bad or at least I didn't notice the many downfalls.

Thanks for your responses.

firenze

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
Scrumpy if you want flat move here!  It was easily invaded by the Normans in the 12th Century, they hardly got their shorts wet. ;D
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

xetog

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »

We moved 6 years ago from an area where the public transport was quite good, but was a major tourist area to a commercial town where tourism is a fantasy.  We bought a smaller house literally 2 minutes walk from our front door to the bus stop, with 5 busses every hour into the town 30 minutes away where busses can be accessed for a large area.  We live only 1/2 mile from a shopping area with all the major retailers including a huge supermarket (ASDA owned by Walmart), public library, and mini bus station for other destinations such as the local hospital. We do still keep a car for destinations where the bus simply takes too long and for longer journeys.  Our main regret is that the house is just a little small, but the location is so convenient we cannot see our way to ever moving on.

To answer Audrine's original query (maximum driving age).  There isn't one in the UK.  Instead, at the age of 70 we have to re-register with the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Assoc.) and certify that we are healthy and have the minimum standard of eyesight required.  We have to renew this every 3 years (I am just about to do it for the third time next month).  Yes we do have universal bus passes for retirees generally after 9am only and not transferrable between the 4 nations of the UK  Some major towns allow free travel for the retired on all forms of public transport.

Mike.X

PS Audrine. Just returned this morning from the US (where we have been leaf peeping!) via a nightmarish trip from JFK :'(
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Audrine

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
Sounds like an ideal place to ive Xetog. How I envy you.

So glad you had a good holiday in the US, tell us more about it. I bet you did not make it to the the mid west where I dwell(unfortunately) What a moan a lot I am?

xetog

« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:08:21 PM »

Audrine.  Over the years we have visited over 30 US states, including Missouri and on this trip did Maine, Vermont, and Rhode Island which we had been to before, but with one new one this year, New Hampshire.   We flew into New York spending a couple of nights there and going by Motor Coach up into New England to see the colourful leaves of fall (leaf peeping).  Just the right time.  7 stunning days with only one day of rain in Boston but this was our 4th visit to that city, so no great loss.  Our problems started on the last day when breakfast was slow and the bill even slower (we had a coach to catch).  I had a few sharp words with the manager and got the bill reduced by 80% to $5. Just caught the coach which eventually took us to JFK where they had sold off our reserved seats on the 'plane (Virgin Atlantic) and no adjoined pairs left apparently, but a few of my gentle words in the ear of the check in manager got us over that problem.  I never find flying comfortable and hate airports, so am not a happy traveller. But pleased to be home for all that.

Do you travel?

Mike X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Coastal

« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:58:22 PM »
Not that I would use the bus, but (depending on how far you are going) they are about every hour/hour and a half each way (Mon-Sat) and just the one bus each way on a Sunday,
When I lived in Brum, during the day (Mon-Sat) they were every 3 and 4 minutes, and the rest of the time about every 10 minutes.

I would be totally lost without my car, no matter how frequent the buses.
My Flickr Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Innocence is ... thinking that a Wanton Woman is someone who makes Chinese Dumplings 😲

Audrine

« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:19:02 PM »
I spend three weeks at my sons who lives in a town called Springfield, 200 miles from where I live.. I think I probably overstayed my welcome, he kept asking me when i was leaving, a bit rude but I suppose you can't blame him. I had a senior citizen bus take me to a senior center where I played cards most of the time. It was great having a free bus ride, something they don't have in my neighborhood.

I wish you all a most healthy, happy new year 2019.

Alex22

« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
Happy new year to you too Audrine, good to see you back posting.

little bob

« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »

I use my bus pass twice a week if I didn't the round trip would cost me 6 --if we go away anytime we
always take them with us -they certainly do come in handy.

GrannyMac

« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »
I use my travel pass lots, bus and tram. We also get half price local train travel, handy when I'm going to my daughters in another town.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

Scrumpy

« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »

I drive..  Or go by train..
 I don't drive far and I have to know there is a parking space for me. It has to be a space that doesn't involve reversing. And only in daylight hours.!
Don't think of a caterpillar dying..Think of a butterfly living.

[email protected]

Coastal

« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »
Well at least you admit that you're not keen on reversing, there are a lot out there that struggle with forward  ;D
My Flickr Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Innocence is ... thinking that a Wanton Woman is someone who makes Chinese Dumplings 😲

Ashy

« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »
Reversing! I've been going backwards for years.
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE

Hugh

« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
Do you have an age limit on your driving license in the UK? I believe my Dad had to give up his license at the age of eigjhty. Upset him terribly to give up Betsy, the name of his car, an old rust bucket but he loved his independence.

However, you have good transportation over there, buses trains etc. Here you if you cant drive anymore you are up the creek.

Not sure if anyone answered your question correct me if I am wrong. No age limit in UK but the licence as to be renewed every 3 years. I am 79 and have no problem in driving in heavy traffic or on a motor way for that matter. I do avoid night driving because I have a cataract in one eye.