Author Topic: Permission to drive  (Read 2014 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Permission to drive
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
I'm 81 and have no problems driving with one operative eye - which has been the case for nearly 40 years. I don't drive long distances at night any longer, other than on well lit roads as my eyes tire from oncoming headlights on unlit roads after 30 -40 miles
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Coastal

« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »
Well in my opinion, an observant driver with one eye is preferential to two eyes that aren't looking where they're going.
My Flickr Pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Do the younger generation study stupidity at school, some seem very well qualified 👍

Raven

« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Well in my opinion, an observant driver with one eye is preferential to two eyes that aren't looking where they're going.

Agreed, One of the Ladies I swim with in the mornings is blind in one eye. She will only drive in daylight now as she hates the dark.

Diasi

« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »

The main downside to driving with one eye is a total lack of depth perception & lack of peripheral vision on the side of the affected eye.
If the Jews are God's chosen people, why did he give the oil to the Arabs?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
The main downside to driving with one eye is a total lack of depth perception & lack of peripheral vision on the side of the affected eye.
The lack of peripheral vision on the affected side is correct (it is my left eye that is affected), but isn't as serious as one might suppose - long time practice overcomes it. As for depth perception, it isn't a case of a total lack - I've had monocular vision since I was at least as young as seven years of age, although, I didn't actually realise it until it caused me to fail my RAF aircrew medical.  As a result, I have learned to cope with the situation.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »
Should have made clear - until about 30+ years ago, my left eye was as good as my right in terms of acute vision - I was 20/20 on eye tests, but couldn't make both eyes work together - never have been able to, but even now, when if I were reduced to having to use only my left eye I would really be in trouble - unable to drive, read, watch TV, recognise faces more than a few yards away because the vision from my left eye is heavily distorted, I do have considerable peripheral vision on the left side - it's difficult to explain and I have no way of demonstrating it. As I sit here, my peripheral vision to the left, without turning my head, is somewhere around 130 degrees - same as on the right - I have no difficulty, for example. in being aware of traffic filtering in on the motorway - the situation where peripheral vision to one's left is so important.
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
The lack of peripheral vision on the affected side is correct (it is my left eye that is affected), but isn't as serious as one might suppose - long time practice overcomes it. As for depth perception, it isn't a case of a total lack - I've had monocular vision since I was at least as young as seven years of age, although, I didn't actually realise it until it caused me to fail my RAF aircrew medical.  As a result, I have learned to cope with the situation.
Mike

Can you watch 3D movies?

If you've any depth perception at all, you will be able to, so you shouldn't be classed as having monocular vision.

https://ocularpro.com/living-with-monocular-vision/

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2019, 09:15:40 PM by Diasi »

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:26:14 AM »
I watched one in London back in the 60s and got the illusion OK - this was the time of red and green specs. Not seen any since. I do have depth perception problems in extreme close up - threading a needle, that sort of thing which, were appropriate, I overcome with a magnifier and using parallax correction - but more than a couple/few feet away, I have no problems - parking a car for instance, although I have to be very careful driving the car into or out of the garage - there is only about 3" clearance each side..
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
I watched one in London back in the 60s and got the illusion OK - this was the time of red and green specs. Not seen any since. I do have depth perception problems in extreme close up - threading a needle, that sort of thing which, were appropriate, I overcome with a magnifier and using parallax correction - but more than a couple/few feet away, I have no problems - parking a car for instance, although I have to be very careful driving the car into or out of the garage - there is only about 3" clearance each side..
Mike

Anaglyph 3D is what you watched, but the same principle applies to any 3D system, so you certainly didn't have monocular vision then.

I've just done a test by covering up one eye & tried to grab the phone as I normally would but I knocked it out of the cradle.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
Fair enough - but you haven't had my decades of experience of being 'one eyed'. I am extremely right eye dominant, so much so that I had a couple of pairs of specs made up about 15 years ago, one for reading, one for distance. One pair actually had the wrong lens in the left so it had reading lens one side, distance t'other - and it was several months before I noticed!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »
Oh, and in saying that I have monocular vision - perhaps my nomenclature is inaccurate - don't really know, but if I look out the window, as I did a second ago with both eyes open then close the left one I lose peripheral vision to the left (hardly surprising!) but no other change. If I close the right eye everything becomes a badly distorted mess.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »
Oh.and there are those - not just on here- who want to bar older drivers. Think about it. Drivers over 70 have one accident per driver per thousand drivers. Drivers under 24 have 9 drivers per thousand. So, who should be banned (figures from the AA by the way) ?
Mike

xetog

« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:09:15 PM »

As I have said before, one of my (many) problems is that I no longer have the confidence that I can keep clear of all the idiots and plain bad drivers I encounter.  The roads are now more crowded, tempers more frayed and skills lacking.  It is common to be undertaken, even when overtaking another vehicle.  I have even been beeped for waiting for not amber-gambling at traffic lights.  Is it a wonder that I am over cautious?  And as for courtesy - forget it, I think that went out with the turn of the century.

Mike.X
Political Correctness is tyranny with a smiley face.

sparky

« Reply #43 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:24:56 PM »
While it true that there may be many elderly folk who should no longer be driving, Prince Phillip being  one. Most minor driving  problems for the elderly are more than compensated by their lifetime skills in anticipating possible hazards ahead etc, sadly lacking in the young, hence far more accidents by them.

Raven

« Reply #44 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
What gets me is why is everybody so blooming bad tempered when driving these days  ???