Author Topic: Saving for care home fees.  (Read 1961 times)

brian54

Saving for care home fees.
« on: Oct 11, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
At an OU meeting and a lady said we should all have £350,000 set aside for care home fees.
I just wonder how many people will save that amount for something which may never happen.
Dad got dementia and never got to the care home.

Traveller

Re: Saving for care home fees.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »
Sell your house and rent somewhere.  Get rid of your money. Give it to your children, go on cruises, donate to charity  etc...  but make sure  you don't you don't have too much left

Alternatively, rob a bank.  If you get away with it, you will have enough money.  If you get caught, you will probably get better care in prison than in a care home.
You'll have had your tea.

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
Brian can't you get back on homeless bashing or drunk drivers, or council tenants, etc. please. I've made a new boring anim which I'm bursting to give an outing even though it could give Alex the hump.

Thanks in advance.

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
Brian can't you get back on homeless bashing or drunk drivers, or council tenants, etc. please. I've made a new boring anim which I'm bursting to give an outing even though it could give Alex the hump.

Thanks in advance.

I went homeless bashing last night in Birmingham.
I told 20 to get a job.
A man burnt a £10 note in front of a homeless man.
If I had got hold of it I would have sent it to CRUK as it was world homeless day.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
Oh come on - that certainly warrants a new thread,

Bobcat

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
Please tell us why are you so very very bitter Brian ?? You have every signs of being a very lonely and sad man !!

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:52:25 PM »
Karma works in mysterious ways Bobcat..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

brian54

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
Please tell us why are you so very very bitter Brian ?? You have every signs of being a very lonely and sad man !!

I will try to help people who help themselves or people with cancer for example.
The homeless are generally lazy people who want an easy life.

ronyork

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
Just bought Audrey home from a very good care home costing me a packet. But when one hear,s of other,s in the same place receiving  the same as Audrey at no cost, one arriving  at the same time as myself in the 18 number plate car looking quite affluent ,and while having coffee with the same hearing some form of financial help was awarded to affray the care home cost, were did I go wrong. they certainly not look like the typical benefit scroungers , [censored] OFF YES'

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
How can you possibly say that Brian? Would you class freezing your balls off in a cardboard box in the middle of winter easy? You are clearly made of sterner stuff than me - it must be all that getting up to go running at 4:00am that does it.

fortyone

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2018, 06:01:32 PM »
Just bought Audrey home from a very good care home costing me a packet. But when one hear,s of other,s in the same place receiving  the same as Audrey at no cost, one arriving  at the same time as myself in the 18 number plate car looking quite affluent ,and while having coffee with the same hearing some form of financial help was awarded to affray the care home cost, were did I go wrong. they certainly not look like the typical benefit scroungers , [censored] OFF YES'
Some get care home fees for free if it's some other medical condition other than dementia. Doubtless in a few weeks their loved one will be riding a morphine syringe driver to oblivion.

ronyork

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:20:29 PM »
Some get it!!!! there lies the problem. Clever accountants, and clever social scroungers  (THE BAD BACK BRIGADE) or the work shy, why bother saving the state will provide. Too many of them . when you see them the no work, no save army its no wonder the N.H.S is short of money.

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
There are just two ways you get free care. One is the need for medical care. Cynically they exclude dementia as there is no cure and class that as social care. The other is by having less than some defined level of wealth. The '18 car means little as it could have been a mobility car. Fair - obviously not but nothing will get changed in either of our lifetimes for sure.

ronyork

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
fortyone,   You are so wrong we attend many meetings /clinics/ singing sessions/dancing sessions to help our partner,s etc and hear many ways people do get help social care and some respite paid, not many, but some cash is available. I think it comes down to the kind of story you can spin.

brian54

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
There are just two ways you get free care. One is the need for medical care. Cynically they exclude dementia as there is no cure and class that as social care. The other is by having less than some defined level of wealth. The '18 car means little as it could have been a mobility car. Fair - obviously not but nothing will get changed in either of our lifetimes for sure.

Dad was going to get free care in a secure home because he was violent. He was sectioned under the mental health act so he could not be charged for his care.
He was paid his pension while in hospital but sadly he died when being loaded on to the hospital transport.
Oddly I spoke to a man in a similar position to my father and his father survived for a year in a secure unit.
He lived 35 miles from the home and he had to visit most days.
His car did over 25,000 miles that year and the pension money went on running expenses for his car.

I bec