Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1176 times)

Keith

« on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and love to debate politics, health, drug policies and generally sorting out the problems of the world. hahaha!!I live alone with my two dogs on a basic state pension....need I say more?
Years ago I lived with a bunch of friends. We shared a farmhouse with a 1/4 of an acre garden/orchard 3 miles from the nearest pub and 5 miles from the nearest A road. I had 5 of the best years of my life there.
Now when I look out of any of my windows I see the red bricks of the houses that surround me. At 67yrs I sometimes wonder if I will die here, if the struggle to pay my way is worth it? Will the rest of my days just be the same? Don't get me wrong, I ain't suffering mentally, its just that when I was on that farm, we struggled financially but it was worth it. We had some of the best countryside in Cheshire in our back yard.
I have been wondering if there are people like me who would like to get together and share a house. In my dreams half a dozen (or so) OAPs share a house. A situation were we pooled a percentage of our pension towards rent/food/bills and when you looked out the window, you saw fields and would be happy to live there till the end.
I wonder if it could be done on a "co-operative" kind of thing, and buying the property. It would mean that those who signed up signed up for life and as and when we die off, our places are filled with other "lifers". This would mean that the property has a continual income and I wonder if in some way, this "continual income" could be used as a mortage repayment?

Thanks for indulging me.....thoughts?

Bobcat

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:34:52 PM »
I am absolutely sure that Brian will join you !!!

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
Hi Keith and welcome to PF. There's an awful lot to consider about your plan, as I read it, but I have heard of such a thing before so I'll let it wander amongst the tumbleweeds and hope it pops into mind.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »
Welcome Keith I'm sure you and Brian will be the best of pals   ;D ;D   
Just kidding, hope you enjoy the site - whereabouts in Cheshire did you live ?.

Traveller

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »
Hi Keith. Welcome to forum and remember, you don't have to work to be mad here.  You're idea sounds fine, but I'm sure it's been tried  and after the initial enthusiasm, it often falls to pieces. 
You'll have had your tea.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
It might work but unfortunately human nature is against it.

Keith

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome peeps.

Alex22, I lived about 3m from Tilston and about 4-5 miles from Malpas. It's called Horton Green.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2018, 11:29:20 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and love to debate politics, health, drug policies and generally sorting out the problems of the world. hahaha!!I live alone with my two dogs on a basic state pension....need I say more?
Years ago I lived with a bunch of friends. We shared a farmhouse with a 1/4 of an acre garden/orchard 3 miles from the nearest pub and 5 miles from the nearest A road. I had 5 of the best years of my life there.
Now when I look out of any of my windows I see the red bricks of the houses that surround me. At 67yrs I sometimes wonder if I will die here, if the struggle to pay my way is worth it? Will the rest of my days just be the same? Don't get me wrong, I ain't suffering mentally, its just that when I was on that farm, we struggled financially but it was worth it. We had some of the best countryside in Cheshire in our back yard.
I have been wondering if there are people like me who would like to get together and share a house. In my dreams half a dozen (or so) OAPs share a house. A situation were we pooled a percentage of our pension towards rent/food/bills and when you looked out the window, you saw fields and would be happy to live there till the end.
I wonder if it could be done on a "co-operative" kind of thing, and buying the property. It would mean that those who signed up signed up for life and as and when we die off, our places are filled with other "lifers". This would mean that the property has a continual income and I wonder if in some way, this "continual income" could be used as a mortage repayment?

Thanks for indulging me.....thoughts?
Good luck with that.

granny moss

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
I saw a film where the old pensioners did that. They pooled together and bought the place they lived in as it went bust. They all got together and seemed very happy....but it was in a film. If you only have a state pension, it could be possible for you to find out if you are entitled to some credit help. Some savings are ignored. It is worth finding out. Good luck. gmx

ronyork

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
I think there are some wonderful locations  in parts of the Highlands, I think newcomers would be welcome to this new way of life it could be appealing to many (the good life) needs plenty of investigation, yes it might work would need plenty of finance to set up, but say £100,000 x 6 = £600,000 a  good start.

sparky

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »
I have long thought this would be a sound idea for half a dozen family of friends, in preference to paying the scandalous  retirement home charges, the occupants would then have the ability to hire or fire a cleaner, cook, etc to suit their needs, rather than having to accept some underpaid incompetent individual selected by some  scrooge management.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
I have long thought this would be a sound idea for half a dozen family of friends, in preference to paying the scandalous  retirement home charges, the occupants would then have the ability to hire or fire a cleaner, cook, etc to suit their needs, rather than having to accept some underpaid incompetent individual selected by some  scrooge management.

I bet you don't see many, if any, Asian or Jewish elderly relatives in care homes.

They stay in the family unit just as you've described.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

minniemouse

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
It's a good idea in theory but were probably all set in our ways now so would it work in practice, I wonder?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.