Author Topic: Any one remember  (Read 832 times)

Audrine

Any one remember
« on: Oct 21, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »
Old Mother Reilly?

I do as a little girl I was so surprised w hen I was told he wasn't an old Mother but an old man, probably the first drag act which took place in the fifties. Remember Miss Kitty who portrayed his daughter who was actually his wife. I believe he was quite successful with his act. I don 't think so now do you?

Raven

Re: Any one remember
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2018, 01:34:02 AM »
Yes I remember going to the Pictures with my mum to see some of those films, I used to like them well enough, there was one on the old movies channel a few weeks ago and I started to watch but got bored after about 15 minutes, and turned the channel over to another..

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »
Yes, I remember Old Mother Reilly and Kitty (surely MISS Kitty is from Gunsmoke?) as names, but can't really call to mind what I would have seen them in.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
Arthur Lucan was Old Mother Riley and he originated from a large and poor family in Boston, Lincolnshire.  His daughter "Kitty" in reality his wife, I read was a bit of a handful and he did the honorable thing and still maintained her when their marriage ended.  I may be wrong but did he not die "on stage" as did poor Tommy Cooper?

Audrine

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
Thanks for your responses. I am glad some of you remember ole Mother Riley. I didn't know he made several movies. I thought he was just a stage act. I think my parents saw his act at some theatre in Hammersmith called the The Met so he did make a living as Mother Riley. No way now.

minniemouse

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
I remember Old Mother Riley films well, they were played at the Saturday morning matinees for kids. Loved them.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »
Arthur Lucan was Old Mother Riley and he originated from a large and poor family in Boston, Lincolnshire. His daughter "Kitty" in reality his wife, I read was a bit of a handful and he did the honorable thing and still maintained her when their marriage ended.  I may be wrong but did he not die "on stage" as did poor Tommy Cooper?

He was born Arthur Towle in Sibsey which, as you say, is near to Boston in Lincolnshire.

He didn't quite make it onto the stage, he collapsed in the wings of the old Tivoli theatre in Hull & died in his dressing room.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »
And then there was Jimmy Clitheroe.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
And then there was Jimmy Clitheroe.

Now that wee scamp I still adore  ;D  I have an MP3 Disc full of his Radio Shows and they always make me laugh. I also have a Disc full of The Navy Lark, another show good for lifting my mood.