Author Topic: Packing our bags...  (Read 1350 times)

Traveller

Packing our bags...
« on: Oct 22, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »
We can't stand it any longer so we're running off .  We're packing our cases and are off to Berlin.  Single flight is only £24 - costs almost as much for the suitcase!  We've booked what looks like a nice hotel not too far from the centre and shops.

We haven't been to Berlin since our elder daughter was studying at the Techniche Universitat , in the Tiergarten district and I was working in Hamburg at the same time.   It's also younger daughter's birthday, so she and  OH are also off too - on yet another trip to Barcelona.

Back late next week.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

Re: Packing our bags...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
Enjoy your trip.

I'd have rather taken another suitcase than my ex-wife, it'd have weighed less.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bee

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »
Enjoy your holiday Traveller. :)
The only way is up....

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »
Have a good trip Traveller, I love Berlin and that price is fantastic.    8)   

Traveller

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
Thanks all...

It is possible to fly quite cheaply these days.  Unfortunately there aren't many direct routes from Aberdeen so we drive to Edinburgh and fly from there.  As capital cities go, Berlin isn't over expensive  with plenty of 4* hotels, including breakfast, free cancellation etc.. for under £100 a night.

granny moss

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:44:15 AM »
Traveller....if you cannot stand it any longer...why do you keep coming back ? ??? ;D As they say: Why the hell?....pack your bags and go, so you will stop moaning....If living here  is so bad, the moaners should go and give us some peace. I love England. It is very old and bruised...it can do with a little more loving. gmx

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2018, 07:57:00 AM »
Ah Granny Moss, you need an injection of humour.  We always go away at this time of year - both our birthdays and wedding anniversary are within a few weeks, so we look forward to this break.  No more gloom, doom or Brexit for a while.

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
Have a good time Traveller.  We are off to Cyprus soon and then Cuba again after Christmas.  We always have our holidays in winter to get my dodgy lungs in a bit of sun.  I have had trouble getting travel insurance for the last couple of years but managed to get an annual insurance so have to make full use of it!

granny moss

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
I travelled a lot right up to my eighties. But was always glad to be back to my home. We all differ. Have a good time while you still can. gmx

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
plus hes not leaving England... now i left England...yipeee
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
Have a good time Traveller.  We are off to Cyprus soon and then Cuba again after Christmas.  We always have our holidays in winter to get my dodgy lungs in a bit of sun.  I have had trouble getting travel insurance for the last couple of years but managed to get an annual insurance so have to make full use of it!
Which Insurance Company do you recommend Sheila?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Sheila

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
Minnie, I have started to use the National Federation of Pensioners.  Have a look at their website if you are having trouble getting travel insurance.  I am having ongoing treatment and have another CT scan in the pipeline etc.  The two rules are:
Your doctor must be happy for you to go on holiday.
You must not have a terminal diagnosis.

I am over 70 and have been kicked out by other insurers (including my previous employers!).  I paid less with NFOP (including the annual membership) for an annual policy than I did with another company for a three week holiday in Cuba.

As a precaution I checked with the consultant at the hospital that she was happy for me to go.

minniemouse

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
Thanks Sheila.  The quote I've had so far is over £800 for a years' Insurance with £250 excess and no claim if the holiday is cancelled!  so I'll try the one you recommend.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Sheila

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
Minnie, the rules are a bit unusual so you need to read them carefully but it suits me.  Two of my friends' husbands who both have health problems have also joined.  One of them was a barrister so has read the small print!