Author Topic: can this be true  (Read 2570 times)

crabbyob

can this be true
« on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
Image may contain: text
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Diasi

Re: can this be true
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »
The UK pension is the worst of all the OECD member countries pensions.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/retirees-in-these-countries-receive-100-of-a-working-salary/
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bobcat

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
No. The minimum pension cred guarantee for a single person is £8,476. If you get pension credit you will also get your council tax paid, if you rent you will get your rent paid, you will get free dental treatment etc. etc. So you are not really comparing like for like !

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
No. The minimum pension cred guarantee for a single person is £8,476. If you get pension credit you will also get your council tax paid, if you rent you will get your rent paid, you will get free dental treatment etc. etc. So you are not really comparing like for like !

crabbyob's figures are the State Pensions for those countries, which everyone gets.

The UK Pension Credit, Council Benefit, Housing Benefit & all the other freebies are not a part of the UK State Pension & only a select number of people receive them.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
It comes from the con trick that National Insurance is anything but an additional income tax. None of it ever gets put aside as your pension or to pay your health care. Those all come from current taxation which includes the NIC of others.

Doing it that way allows governments to maintain the fiction that personal income tax starts at 20%. It doesn't it starts at 32%  or 44% if you add in employer NIC too. Figures approximate and from memory but ballpark correct.

That fact is why they get so upset when people set up their own companies and work through them. By paying modest salaries and taking dividends from the company you bypass a lot of the extra tax those on PAYE get stiffed for.

Of course you can't bypass the 20% VAT that gets levied on most spending other than food or the additional duties on fags booze and petrol.

You'd think with all the tax that we might get a working NHS police force and pension you could live on in reasonable comfort but sadly that just ain't so.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
Hardly seems possible that, despite taking all that tax, the budget doesn't balance and the debt mountain is just building up and up.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
When you figure it out everything is either dug up or grown and then processed. Apart from paying the toffs who own the land rights all you pay for is people's time. People get taxed on whatever they earn for their time then a chunk of the cost of what they buy is paying somebody else's tax. Filter that down and at the end of the day the bloody government takes everything in tax.

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »

Hardly seems possible that, despite taking all that tax, the budget doesn't balance and the debt mountain is just building up and up.

What else can you expect, when so much of our money is being squandered on Foreign aid, and idiotic projects in the UK

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
If every pensioner refused to pay Council Tax they could not send everyone to prison. Its supposed to pay for your use of local facilities. So how come I as a single person only get 25% discount? Why am I subsidising the selfish family next door who live in an identical house and have 2 kids and 2 incomes? Thats 4 people using local facilities as opposed to my one. They pay NOTHING for the facilities that their children use.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »
I could say why does our next door neighbour who lives on her own but earns double the income of my OH and I get a 25% discount?  No rating system is 100% fair.  Local income tax anyone?
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »
I could say why does our next door neighbour who lives on her own but earns double the income of my OH and I get a 25% discount?  No rating system is 100% fair.  Local income tax anyone?

Because one person won't use the facilities that two people use, but I'm a lifelong advocate of a local income tax.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »
Image may contain: text

This is another of the ' level playing field' lies that duped 62% of the UK population into voting 'Remain' in 1975.

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:49:07 AM »
 A poll tax has got to be a hundred times fairer all round than the council tax,

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:54:48 AM »
A poll tax has got to be a hundred times fairer all round than the council tax,

The poll tax was very fair, but it was scuppered by rioters who probably were the same type of people who didn't pay income tax or NI either.

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
The councils took advantage of it to bump up their income too. I lived in a high rated property at the time and me and my wife made zero saving. Meanwhile my son was still living with us at the time and got a charge which was nothing before so our house in effect brought them in over 50% more. With cheaper ones the uplift would have been even higher. That was with a Tory council.