Author Topic: writing a letter are we losing the ability to write any more,  (Read 1726 times)

Alfred

In todays modern world we have the ability to send e-mails, text messages,  and phone people we want to get in touch with, then for others its a case of skyping as then we can see the person living near by or even on the other side of the world ,

we receive letters printed out most probably by voice command, or a standard reply letter ,   and secretary's are no longer in demand as they used to be, as many company directors relied heavily on them in the past, as then many companies,  had typing pools, were as today its all computers and laptops, and printers, (in the past i learnt a lot from these talented ladies,)

so are we gradually forgetting how to write a nice letter , as with letters written have the human and personal touch, rather than type written pages which seem cold and lacking the human touch ,

Q; so do you think were losing the ability to write a nice letter rather than send a computer printed letter, instead,

xetog

Re: writing a letter are we losing the ability to write any more,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »

I have, without doubt lost my handwriting skills.  I used to be an enthusiastic calligrapher, but have not produced anything for years, all my special pens etc are in the loft. I do however type letters although, postage being so expensive, I send them as emails.  I also Text but do insist writing in clear text with punctuation etc., (much to the chagrin of my kids).  I will occasionally lapse into acronyms (IMO), but enjoy very much the written word.

I think that computers have freed up a lot of people from what they saw as the drudgery of hand writing.  Is it even taught in schools these days?  I also write short stories for my own pleasure and the ability to store them electronically is a godsend.  Now you have made me think of handwriting I must break out my pens again.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
I think I missed my vocation. With my handwriting skills I should have been a doctor.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »
I find that handwriting is quite difficult nowadays - not a disability or anything - I just get cramp in the hand after a few minutes, yet years ago I wrote reams by hand.
I don't see why computer keyboard or voice command missives should affect anyone's ability of compose a decent letter, although sadly it is a skill a lot have folk have lacked over the ages, never mind now.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2018, 05:39:45 PM »
The decline, IMO, is inevitable following the rise of Email. There are certain professions that demand the ability to write a formal letter but the rest of the world seems happy with electronic coms. Don't have to buy stationary and stamps either.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
Handwriting is still taught in primary schools, my youngest grandchild got some team points a few weeks ago for hers.  She's left handed which makes it slightly more difficult.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

prestbury

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »
I think I missed my vocation. With my handwriting skills I should have been a doctor.
Spot on, I have never been able to write legibly in my life, even i cannot understand some of the notes I write ;D

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:18:32 AM »
Strangely enough, I have three pen sets on my computer desk as I type this.  I have ever tried to perform decent handwriting and you cannot accomplish this with Biro pens.  Back in 1950 when I did my school cert, my mother had bought me a beautiful gold plated Waterman fountain pen but it met a tragic end.  On the last day of exams I was leaning on our town bridge gazing into the water and the pen fell out of my top school blazer pocket and dropped into the briny far below.  Perhaps in thousands of years time, some archeological type may unearth it from the primevil mud and wonder just for what it was intended?

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:46:42 AM »
Mrs T wanted to write a letter of thanks.  We searched several shops yesterday, but couldn't find a writing pad! 

I ignore any texts or Emails that contain  "Text speak".  If people can't be bothered to write properly, then why should should I be bothered to read what they have written.
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Must agree - the sort of lazy, sloppy 'C U 4 lnch' thing really irritates.
Mike

fortyone

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
Why? The purpose of any message is to pass information and so long as obvious abbreviations are used that is achieved. I mush admit your reference to 4 Inch confused me initially and had me wondering about what it was that long that somebody had spotted.  :)

Traveller

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
I write very few letters these days.  Most of those, I type because my writing is pretty bad.
Perhaps it's more important to compose a good letter, than the medium on which it's produced and delivered.

Fortunately only Mrs. T knows my mobile number, so if I get a text (which is very very rare) I know it's a wrong number or unsolicited call, so I just delete it. 

Ashy

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
I write very few letters but I believe that when I do, most of the spelling is correct, and the verbs agree with their subjects.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
Why? The purpose of any message is to pass information and so long as obvious abbreviations are used that is achieved. I mush admit your reference to 4 Inch confused me initially and had me wondering about what it was that long that somebody had spotted.  :)
Exactly - you saw 'lunch' without the 'u' as Inch, making the message meaningless, by confusing the lower case 'l' with an upper case 'I' so that's one misinterpretation in four words, and it's not your fault - it's the fault of the sloppy writer.
Same really with acronyms - remember the amusement of David Cameron using LoL ? IIRC (there I go, a fairly common acronym, but would everyone know what it meant?)  he intended it as 'Lots of Love' but it was interpreted as 'Laughing out Loud'
I wonder if everyone would know the meanings (generally accepted, that is, some I suppose could have alternative meanings) of:-
IIRC
AFAIK
YMMD
ROTFLMAO
DCUWCY
NWJ
KISS
ASCII
BMFA
and there are many more out there, some just about universally recognised (NATO, UNICEF, etc), some meaningless outside a fairly restricted circle of like individuals (BMFA).
Mike

Mike

Traveller

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
MAMBA is one I've heard used to describe driving round parts of N.Scotland....

Miles And Miles of Bugger All.