Author Topic: memories that make us smile,  (Read 8781 times)

prestbury

Re: memories that make us smile,
« Reply #30 on: Apr 07, 2019, 12:44:07 AM »
Memories of the cockles and mussels man coming around the pubs selling variety's of fish which tasted fine after a few pints.

zoony

« Reply #31 on: Apr 07, 2019, 01:02:48 AM »
Taking a crowded steam train to Blackpool for Wakes Week. Donkeys, baggy knitted bathing trunks, sand in egg sandwiches and the B&B...which I remember as enjoyable.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Dickie

« Reply #32 on: Apr 09, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
OMG my sister and myself used to thumb a lift to Southend and one time a French couple picked us up in their Citroen oh blimey this Citroen used to  bump up and down and my sister stared being sick with the jerking motion arghhhhhhhh it was awful lol 
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Dickie

« Reply #33 on: Apr 09, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
Oops
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Ode Iron

« Reply #34 on: Jul 12, 2019, 08:12:59 PM »
New to the forum..hello from Ode Iron..lots of great memories from my childhood. I lived right in the city centre and the town was my playground..making trolleys out of old pram wheels..bogeys me Dad called them. Taking Lucozade and Domestos bottles back to Boots for 3d.
Asking the chipshop for batter bits, tuppenny rush at the Gaumont on a Saturday morning..Our Gang and Flash Gordon were 30 odd years old then!
Horlicks in cafes...the mug had a solid handle..rumbabas..congress tarts..Aztec bars..spud guns and drinking water and safe public toilets...not to mention Army Parades and Don Davis 3 in a row..good times!!
Masks are muzzles

mick607

« Reply #35 on: Jul 12, 2019, 08:59:39 PM »
No druggies. very rare you saw a tramp. Nowadays they are professional tramps called "homeless" but many are not homeless.
Always plenty of work about but life could be tough living in a slum with no bathroom only outside lav. Break the ice in winter first!

Alex22

« Reply #36 on: Jul 12, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
Hi Ode Iron, welcome to PF  ;D

Ode Iron

« Reply #37 on: Jul 12, 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
Thanks for kind welcome Alex22.
Masks are muzzles

Diasi

« Reply #38 on: Jul 12, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
No druggies. very rare you saw a tramp. Nowadays they are professional tramps called "homeless" but many are not homeless.
Always plenty of work about but life could be tough living in a slum with no bathroom only outside lav. Break the ice in winter first!

And coming back from the outside lav smelling of the paraffin heater (if you were posh enough to have a paraffin heater) which doubled as a light so you check where the spiders were.

Now, all of us live in houses with bathrooms & many of us in houses with en-suites & downstairs toilets.

It's a long time since I lived in a house where there weren't more toilets than people. ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #39 on: Jul 12, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
You were posh Diasi ! Not forgetting the squares of newspaper either.

Diasi

« Reply #40 on: Jul 12, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »
You were posh Diasi ! Not forgetting the squares of newspaper either.

Blimey, now your making me feel privileged & entitled as we had Izal toilet paper.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #41 on: Jul 12, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
Just as I expected you definitely was very posh !  ;D ;D ;D

Diasi

« Reply #42 on: Jul 12, 2019, 10:30:23 PM »
Just as I expected you definitely was very posh !  ;D ;D ;D

But I'd still have spoken to you. Lol  ;D ;D ;D

Raven

« Reply #43 on: Jul 13, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
A long time ago when the kids were young and we were in London my daughter made the big mistake in Trafalgar Square of opening a packet of crisps. ::) In an instant she vanished into a cloud of pigeons and all you could hear was the screams. Scary at the time but we laugh about it now. Always makes me smile when ever I see the square on the telly or a photo of it. ;D

Bumblyari

« Reply #44 on: Aug 13, 2019, 11:00:08 PM »

I can remember when the height of sophistication was having a meal in a Berni Inn - prawn cocktail, steak, chips and peas then Black Forest gateaux.

Whatever happened to sweet trollies ?
Nostalgia - dreaming of it being like it was when you dreamt of it being like it is now