Author Topic: BC-AD  (Read 561 times)

Scrumpy

BC-AD
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »

The National Trust has warned against ditching the traditional terms 'Before Christ' and 'Anno Domini' after one of it's Flag Ship properties switch to a modern alternative to  'Avoid Offending Non-Christians.'

YET.
   UK leaders of major Non- Christian Faiths have said they do NOT consider the traditional version to be offensive.

It makes you wonder who decides what is offensive to other faiths.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

Re: BC-AD
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
I've never understood the 'CE' 'BCE' concept. WHAT Common Era? It is simply a renaming of the Christian date concept and if a non-Christian wishes to be offended by 'AD'/'BC' why should not he or she be equally offended - perhaps even more so - by the claim that the Christian system is 'common'?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
If Christianity is offensive to any member of any other faith, why do they come and live here?

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
I'm guessing because although Christianity is offensive money isn't.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »
We are all the poorer for their taking offence.

fortyone

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
You should complain to the police - if they took a fence all your sheep will be getting out. Not to mention the goats.

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018, 03:55:15 PM »
I think I did ask you not to mention the goats.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
Sorry. It just slipped out. A bit like the goats I suppose.

Johned

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:35:40 PM »
Talking of goats, as an octogenarian, strangely, my mind drifted back and provoked a wartime memory of when I was a lad.  I was with two of my cousins and after Sunday school, we were wandering down a lane just outside town and there was a field with some goats in it, vainly trying to get out.  "Oh look, the poor goats are trying to get out, they must be fed up being in that field!" averred my female cousin thus we obligingly broke down the fence so the goats could make their egress.  We then continued contentedly on our way, thinking we had done our good turn of the day by pleasing the goats which by now were wandering all over the lane.  I'll bet the goat herdsman/lady was not so happy!     

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
Since nobody is quite sure when Jesus was born , the AD / BC is purely a convenient point in time.  I don't care what it's called.
You'll have had your tea.