Author Topic: Is Devon racist?  (Read 1988 times)

Scrumpy

Re: Is Devon racist?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »

I grew up where there were no black people.. I remember seeing the first black person locally. His name was David and he was fostered by one of the neighbours... My son used to attend the same school as David and all the kids got on well. David was well liked.. He still lives around the area and got very excited when he spotted me at a Fun Factory.. I was there with the grandchildren. With a big smile on his face he came towards me.. ' Hi Mrs Smith.. Do you remember me'?...   'Of course I do.. You are David'.. How could I forget such a wonderful ,friendly lad..!
  There were no black people at my school.. no black dates when growing up.. No black people at the dance halls... Would I have dated a black person back then.! Probably not.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »
There still aren't large numbers of folks with brown skins in these parts. Some yes but not lots. Can't say the same for the numbers hollering away into mobile phones in languages other than English though.

crabbyob

« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
there are loads of brown skins here
i am heading in that direction myself
i think as a nation we are growing up
as i have said before
we just need the brown skins to grow up too
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
I only need a 20w lightbulb to be browner than most Indians.

Johned

« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
Saw a lovely young black doctor at our local hospital yesterday.  He bore a remarkable resemblance to the film actor Will Smith.

Dayjo

« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2018, 08:08:09 PM »
Growing up, in a small farming village. The first coloured person, I ever saw was, "Sinjie". Around 1949.....
 A casual labourer. He wore a green boiler suit, and a big "bandage", around his head.

Being near to Bradford, I was a machine setter, for several Pakistanis/ Indians/ Arabs, during the 1960's.

In Derbyshire, 50 miles south. A coloured face, is even now, a rarity. In 1978 our son came home from school. "There's a little brown boy, come in to our school"......
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

crabbyob

« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:38:14 AM »
the thing is Dave 'they' are a fact of life
they are us, and we are them
i often wonder how i might react if my son had introduced one as his wife,
and i honestly think it would be better than him introducing a bloke as his husband...lol
we are all quite long in the tooth but are dealing with the changes fine, ok what about the threat to our society, i think we are to be admired how 'British'  we have reacted to that also... so all in, the next generation will deal with all of it a lot better than we have...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Johned

« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2018, 03:56:21 PM »
I like to think I greet everybody equally and in return would like them to greet and think of me as an amiable if a bit boring, old codger.  So far I have found most ethnic folk agreable sorts; there are good, bad and indifferent in all races.  We are all members of the human race so we should try to get along.  We are scratching out a living somehow or other, old and young, for our families.  Having spent my working life mostly in an engineering environment, I have come up against some very clever and creative engineers with an ethnic background who could teach me a thing or two.  A lovely Chinese colleague was ever praising my work though he was streets ahead of me in  academia. Also a black mate from the West Indies, a good tech author and a brilliant mechanic, got my old car going when others had failed in the attempt!  So I am naturally prejudiced on his behalf, a lovely lad.