Author Topic: Radiator Help  (Read 1534 times)

Alex22

Radiator Help
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
I know how to bleed a radiator but I'm wondering are you supposed to turn off the central heating first, or can you bleed it while the heating is on  ?   I've done the one in my bedroom as only half of it was getting hot, plenty of air came out, but as soon as I'd done that the radiator in the next door room started making a banging noise.   I've switched everything off now, have I made a [censored] up ? ???     

Scrumpy

Re: Radiator Help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
You can do it whether the heating is off or on.. I know because I do it..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
I can't remember the last time I heard a banging noise from next door.

My advice would be to bleed the radiators with the pump off and then see if it still needs it with the pump running.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »
Also my pipes bang around a bit sometimes.. I put it down to air bubbles passing through.. Why don’t you try bleeding all radiators.. I would..
 I’m not an expert on any of this. Just a woman who helped build a house and learned many things since Sam died.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
I'll do them all then and hope nothing blows up   ;D thanks folks.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
It's the same as farting when you analise it.

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
 ;D ;D

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
Is it a combi boiler? If it is you'll need to let some water in. If it's as bad as you suggest I'd do it a little at a time.

Lots of info on t'internet for all diy jobs...
https://www.idealhome.co.uk/diy-and-decorating/how-to-bleed-a-radiator-188972

Alex22

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »
No its not a combi,  it's a erm........... 8)

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »
Thanks for that link Forty, I've not only learned about radiators but I can now make a marbled plant pot  ;D

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
When I mentioned bleeding radiators to the guy who fitted my Worcester combi he told me not to but to follow a procedure which puts more water into the system and ensures that it's at the correct pressure.

It's simple enough when you know how.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2018, 06:47:09 PM »

I also have a ‘erm boiler’.. Best out the bunch in my opinion.

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
I just lost a long post because the forum signed me out. >:(

A precis...
Combi boilers have no hot water tank and as I said in my first post will need topping up when you bleed the air out. Exact appearance of inlet tap will vary. On my home boiler it is built into the boiler but at the caravan it isn't. If you don't know procedure then include your boiler model in the search.

freebie

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
usually air finds its way to the highest radiator ( not always tho) so that its usually one radiator that requires bleeding, a pressure system/combi system will need pressurising as you bleed the radiators and may need doing several times over a few days because the air is being carried around the system especially when switched on for the first time after summer. note that your boiler may cut out and show a fault as the pressure falls during bleeding, to prevent this whilst bleeding keep an eye on the pressure gauge which is usually just under the boiler itself and once its at 1 barg stop bleeding and pressurise the system again, keep doing this until you cant hear air being expelled from the vent point. If your boiler does cut out and goes into low pressure fault, the fault should clear once pressure is built up again.

sparky

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »
Bleeding rads are certainly done with the pump/system turned off, in addition when the heating has been off for an hour or so, in order that any bubbles circulating in the water, can slowly rise to the top of the rads. which are  then released during bleeding.