Author Topic: Do you remember?  (Read 8168 times)

fortyone

Re: Do you remember?
« Reply #165 on: Nov 28, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
Routine appointments with the same doctor. Within a few days too.

Audrine

« Reply #166 on: Nov 28, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
Blue identity cards, I still have mine.

Johned

« Reply #167 on: Nov 28, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
I was still collecting an old pram load of coke costing a couple of bob from our local gasworks as late as 1958 when we married.  Made a wonderful glow of a fire.  It was the great social leveller; all manner of folk were in the queue as I recall.  Most with barrows and prams but the better off had their portion shovelled into their car boots!  RonYork obviously remembers.

fortyone

« Reply #168 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »
My old pram was used for exactly that purpose.

xetog

« Reply #169 on: Dec 02, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »

I just couldn't read through all 12 pages, but has anyone mentioned Ted Ray, Jimmy Jewel, Ben Warris, Arthur Askey, Charlie Chester, Bud Flannagan & Chelsey Allen ?

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Johned

« Reply #170 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure xetog, the gentleman was Chesney Allen.  I generally agree with your posts one hundred per cent but not on this occasion.  Purely as an aside, many hundreds of years ago, a pal and I used to entertain old folks' homes and feature in local concerts as a Flanagan and Allen double act.  Our "Umbrellas" was guaranteed to bring the house down!  We also played four hands on one piano.  Oft, we were accompanied by another mate who was a self taught virtuoso on the Clarinet.  He ended up in Hollywood helping to arrange musical scores for films.

xetog

« Reply #171 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

You are right of course Johned, a slip of the memory or a typo, I am unsure which.  When my dad was demobbed as a family we used to go down to the local park on a nice summers evening and walking back in the twilight would pass through a colonnade of shops and we used to all sing at the tops of our voices 'Underneath the Arches'.  Grand memory!

Mike.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

little bob

« Reply #172 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
I was still collecting an old pram load of coke costing a couple of bob from our local gasworks as late as 1958 when we married.  Made a wonderful glow of a fire.  It was the great social leveller; all manner of folk were in the queue as I recall.  Most with barrows and prams but the better off had their portion shovelled into their car boots!  RonYork obviously remembers.

I can also add to this -my old chap worked in the local pit I can remember the coal being delivered in the entry and my job after school was to cart it into the back yard into the coal place the 2 buckets would be filled ready for night-time and early morning and that was my job at 6-30am -making the fire.

Also whe my g/parents ran out of coal the false bottom in the pram was filled and a sack was put on the top  then began a 9 miles round trip delivering --cant see em doing that now.

Diasi

« Reply #173 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
Routine appointments with the same doctor. Within a few days too.

I remember going to the GP's surgery on a first come first served basis just like going to the barbers where you bowled up & sat & waited for your turn.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #174 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
Can't do that these days. The homeless have taken all the pop up tents in these parts.