Author Topic: some things cooking.  (Read 594 times)

Alfred

some things cooking.
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »

Now that were approaching Christmas all the experts come out of the cupboard as endless amounts of cooking entertain us on the big t.v.screens ,

although its very handy for people who like to try different culinary skills in the kitchen it seems now that almost every other programme is based on cooking .

of course learning  new  ideas and seeing how chef,s cook food giving little tips on how to get the best , and tastiest food looking very appetising on the plate starts the taste buds going , for many of us but not all,  i like the basic cooking such as what Jamie Oliver did on many of his shows,

but some of the squiggly bits and pieces of food shown, with a tiny drizzle of some thing or other with the odd piece of vegetable shown on a plate was enough to put me off, as it isnt a mans meal possibly some thing like a starter , although its designed to show the culinary skills that top chefs can do in high class restaurants or hotels,

Q;  do you enjoy watching chefs compete with each other showing of their cooking skills , and would you eat some of what is shown afterwards,

Raven

Re: some things cooking.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »
No, Nope, No Way, Never. I think that sums it up for me.  ;D

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
I never watch cookery programs. there are far too many on TV IMO , as for eating what they cook, I would have to be dying of starvation for anything to pass  my lips that the hairy bikers had prepared, with the possible remnants of their last meal dripping from their disgusting long beards and matted  hair,

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »
Not for me.

Floydian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
I can't do with that smug get greg wallace.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »
Veronica used to watch them so I sat though them, but she got fed up with them about 2-3 years ago - the number of them were just overkill.
However, who can forget, if unfortunate enough to see it, Delia Smith's attempt  at scrambled eggs and her gushing 'there you are, perfect soft scrambled eggs' as the yellow slime poured out of the saucepan, or Terry Wogan's mocking of it the next day?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
The only one I enjoy watching is 'Masterchef' and occasionally pick up useful tips.  That doesn't mean that I'd like to try all of the dishes, but some do appeal  - for a special occasion.   

I've got quite a few cookery books and I like trying different dishes.  The last book I bought  at a boot sale, was  "French Leave" by John Burton Race.  Some really nice dishes to try. 
I'm cooking shepherd's pie this evening (using minced mutton).

I don't care for the Hairy Bikers style of cooking.
You'll have had your tea.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
Veronica used to watch them so I sat though them, but she got fed up with them about 2-3 years ago - the number of them were just overkill.
My wife watches soaps which I hate so when she does I either listen to audio books or watch films on my tablet wearing headphones which she hates me doing. The answer is plain to me but apparently not to her. I feel that life is far too short for watching the fictional and ludicrous problems of others.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:01:03 PM »
My wife watches soaps which I hate so when she does I either listen to audio books or watch films on my tablet wearing headphones which she hates me doing. The answer is plain to me but apparently not to her. I feel that life is far too short for watching the fictional and ludicrous problems of others.
Absolutely agree - Veronica shared my total lack of interest in soaps, but my late mum was a Coronation Street fan to the day she died.
OTOH - might 'Last of the Summer Wine' be regarded as a soap? I do hope not, as we both of us loved it and followed it avidly up to the time Bill Owen died - both in the programme and in real life. Didn't bother with it other than an occasional viewing thereafter - just wasn't the same (like the stupidity of a female Dr. Who!!!)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:10:53 PM »
Any Last of the summer wine episode could be watched individually. Certainly there were running themes but simple ones that were not essential to any particular plot.