Author Topic: Means test pensions?  (Read 3289 times)

Ashy

Re: Means test pensions?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »
I agree with 41, the county councils subsidise under contract virtually all the bus services since the National Bus Company was broken up, I think they also provide the bus stops and shelters. Bus passes also fulfil other criteria as they give mobility to voters and stimulate the economy. In some areas the local authorities have gone further and engaged in vanity projects like tramways.

mad dog

« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2018, 01:01:16 AM »
So in 2030 they are going to be struggling to pay the state pension? Well they never seem to worry about the £1.162 Trillion paid out to bail out the banks, so perhaps they government should think about looking after the taxpayers and those that have paid NI contributions all their hard working lives !
My wife has already lost out on her state pension age moving from 60 to 66.
The government has just announced it is going to pay £50 million aid to Africa to help stop female genital mutilation . WTF !!!
It seems that the country is hell bent on attacking the people in the UK who have worked hard all their lives , paid taxes & N.I. contributions, and as for the over 75's TV licence as far as I'm concerned they can shut down the the BBC totally (it is only a propaganda media anyway) and scrap the licence fees for everyone instead of constantly moaning that everyone is subsidising the old people.

That's my rant over before my blood pressure causes me to cost the NHS money.

brian54

« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:57:51 AM »
So in 2030 they are going to be struggling to pay the state pension? Well they never seem to worry about the £1.162 Trillion paid out to bail out the banks, so perhaps they government should think about looking after the taxpayers and those that have paid NI contributions all their hard working lives !
My wife has already lost out on her state pension age moving from 60 to 66.
The government has just announced it is going to pay £50 million aid to Africa to help stop female genital mutilation . WTF !!!
It seems that the country is hell bent on attacking the people in the UK who have worked hard all their lives , paid taxes & N.I. contributions, and as for the over 75's TV licence as far as I'm concerned they can shut down the the BBC totally (it is only a propaganda media anyway) and scrap the licence fees for everyone instead of constantly moaning that everyone is subsidising the old people.

That's my rant over before my blood pressure causes me to cost the NHS money.

People in the pub were annoyed with a man last night who complains about people with private / occupational pensions and inheritances.. He does not believe in them. He does however believe in taking state benefits paid for by the tax payer and living in a council house.
He also thinks it is wrong people move in to Birmingham to retire when they have not worked there. My father worked half his working life in Birmingham and the other half in Sandwell. Where was he supposed to retire?. Most pensioners I know move to be by the grandchildren

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:09:21 AM »

With regard to other pensioners so called 'perks'
Television licences for the over 75's should be means tested in some way or just issued to holders of pension credit.WFA again should only go to those on pension credit as should free bus passes.

I found it embarrassing when I qualified for both bus pass and WFA at 60 when I was working in a well paid job until retirement at 65. Of course I could have refused them but Isuspect I would have  been one on my own.
The WFA just goes on wine, women and song. Anything left gets wasted.

Great in principle, but many pensioners who have private pensions and small savings have incomes only marginally above the PC level. To deprive those pensioners of travel passes and the WFA would be very unfair.  TV licences should be abolished.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:30:35 AM »
hear hear Granny, if you want sky you pay for it let the bbc stand on its owh great big feet, BBC world news here i have to pay for it AND there are adverts..
when i see people like Garry Linaker soaking up millions for talking about football, then sticking his nose into my politics, makes my blood boil..shut it down, wht might we miss???
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

granny moss

« Reply #35 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
I never watch TV. Am I missing anything interesting ? I watch You Tube travel and documentaries. Also free films. gmx