Author Topic: how do you deal with christmas,  (Read 5586 times)

Alfred

how do you deal with christmas,
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

With Christmas getting pretty close, and many of us have different ideas regarding the big day it self,  not that long ago my family and i went to the church on Christmas eve, for the Christmas mass,.

do you buy presents, or arrange for a Christmas dinner in a very nice restaurant instead, or do you have Christmas day as  just an ordinary day and plan for some thing nicer after Christmas , some people i know prefer to have a holiday instead  as they can afford it, although its not for everyone , other spend their time with their families,  or friends,

Q; so what are ideas for spending your Christmas, and will you share your thoughts with us,
     my family and i spend Christmas on our own ,

zoony

Re: how do you deal with christmas,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »
I'll also be on my own Alfred but that's normal for me nowadays. Let those who enjoy it do so with gusto but I don't like people calling me a grouch for not sharing their view.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »
Zooney you are not a grouch...I find as time passes I don't like the false Christmas jolly either.  It had its place with children present tho' the goggle eyes of years gone by are replaced by something else.  I Like the Carols special on t.v.but mostly because it invokes memories. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Traveller

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
Now that the children have grown and flown, Christmas is a fairly low key affair.  As atheists, we don't attach any religious significance to 25th Dec., but celebrate the festive period starting with the Winter Solstice. 

We usually have a walk on the beach on Xmas day - give us an appetite for dinner.                                                                                                                 
You'll have had your tea.

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »
We love it.. We have many gatherings.. Age doesn’t come into it where I am concerned.. I will always love it.. It’s a magical time..

Each to their own I guess.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
 :-X

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:20:47 PM »
We're going to our son's, if weather permits. They have lots of room and it's lovely to spend the day with our grandchildren. On Boxing day we'll all get out for a walk with their pup.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
We have a doggy walk if we can after everybody has had their presents and then to a restaurant. Both grandparents pay the bill and then to my daughter's houses for a play with our dogs and my granddaughters play with their presents.
We do have a toast to absent friends.

little bob

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
Just the two of us this year for the first time -kids grown up now and live too far away--maybe have a get to-gether over the new year--I may ask Zoony yet ::)

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
Christmas is the 7th of January for the Russian Orthodox church.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »

Schastlivogo Rozhdestva..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

StephenM123

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
We have a doggy walk if we can after everybody has had their presents and then to a restaurant. Both grandparents pay the bill and then to my daughter's houses for a play with our dogs and my granddaughters play with their presents.
We do have a toast to absent friends.

If you pass a poor beggar on your Christmas walk will you be charitable rather than tell them to join a pension scheme? And will you be kind to cats?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
I'm dreading it - it will be the first Christmas without Veronica. Her sister is kindly going to stay with me for a few days; in a way I wish she wasn't, then again I'm glad she is.
Last year Veronica was very ill at Christmas and went to a nursing home - and then to hospital - on Boxing Day. She never came back, so Christmas is not something I want to celebrate, especially when I think of how much we enjoyed earlier years.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
Michael, my wife died over the Christmas break 9 years ago, so Christmas is not a good time for us, I am always so glad when Christmas is over and forgotten,

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2018, 08:48:45 AM »

Schastlivogo Rozhdestva..

My wife says "Спасибо".

Michael, my wife died over the Christmas break 9 years ago, so Christmas is not a good time for us, I am always so glad when Christmas is over and forgotten,

Christmas wasn't good for me for many years due to personal circumstances earlier if my life, but it's ok now, although the memories never go away.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)