Author Topic: Charge people to stay in jail.  (Read 5897 times)

Ashy

Re: Charge people to stay in jail.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
Middle class do-gooders should pay for prisoners.

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

Its mainly middle class taxes that already pay for them, like most things.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #32 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »

Its mainly middle class taxes that already pay for them, like most things.

The middle class do-gooders should pay a 'virtue surcharge' for being virtuous & 'right on'.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

brian54

« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
The middle class do-gooders should pay a 'virtue surcharge' for being virtuous & 'right on'.

I think the so called working class should pay. A lot of the people who call themselves working class do not work much.

crabbyob

« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:40:48 AM »
and most of the 'middle' class are working class wanna bee's
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:48:07 AM »
Not all middle class people are woolly cardiganed do-gooders. I think a voluntary virtue tax would be a good scheme. Something to talk about in the back of the charity shop.

Diasi

« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:50:50 AM »
Not all middle class people are woolly cardiganed do-gooders. I think a voluntary virtue tax would be a good scheme. Something to talk about in the back of the charity shop.

I think that making it a voluntary tax is a great idea as it'd increase their 'virtue level' & make them feel even better while they're reading their Guardian before they set off for a stint in the charity shop.

;D ;D ;D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:56:35 AM »
in our town the charity shops are rarely manned by the middle class
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #38 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:00:01 AM »
The paid staff in our charity shop certainly don't get middle class salaries, not even the manager. The volunteers are mixed, the older retirees are better off than the younger ones, who are usually sent by the job centre to get some work experience.  Its also a bit of a haven for a some with learning difficulties who can't find paid work.

I think I'm the only Guardian reader (selective and online), if there's ever a newspaper (comic) in the staffroom, it tends to be the Sun.  Nowt wrong wi't Guardian as long as its balanced by a glance or two at the Daily Fail.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #39 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:00:37 AM »
The Daily Fail has turned into a lefty rag under the new editor. Try https://www.breitbart.com/europe/ instead for less in depth but a better balance to the Grauniad. Of course if you seek a similar level of veracity to the Grauniad then I can recommend https://rochdaleherald.co.uk

I didn't realise the unemployable were sent to charity shops. I thought most were lolling on couches - those red and green ones you see on the telly in Westminster.

Raven

« Reply #40 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
My Son works with the Charity CATH, (homeless) and they take people who are getting ready to be released from jail. Most have been inside for several years and are looking forward to starting over. It gets them back into the working habit and they seem to enjoy it and get on well with the customers and staff down in the shop. Some manage to get a proper paying job afterwards but most do not, because of the jail time, employers are very reluctant to take a chance, yet the ex prisoners want to work and live a useful life, they have paid for their mistake and only want to put it behind them and move on. Being turned down all the time does little to help them and of course some just give up.

fortyone

« Reply #41 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »
Nowt wrong wi't Guardian as long as its balanced by a glance or two at the Daily Fail.
Just found this on Guido showing that the Mail is front paging..

https://order-order.com/2018/11/28/daily-mail-twists-poll-results-public-opposes-mays-deal-frontpage-headline-say-opposite/

Johned

« Reply #42 on: Nov 28, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »
The issue of class seems to predominate in some folks' minds.  The middle class are a target of derision by many for some reason.  I am proud to belong to the lower working class but like to term myself as skilled working class having spent most of my life in engineering and when the slogan was "Export or Die" certainly made my contribution to the cause.  Something must have gone awry somewhere however as we seem to have precious little engineering left.  While we still preoccupy ourselves with the issue of class perhaps this country will never come together.

GrannyMac

« Reply #43 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »
Class in the UK is complex, its not all about wealth.  Genteel poverty was alive and well when i was growing up.   The book 'Watching the English' makes for interesting reading on the topic.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #44 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:57:35 PM »
Of course if you seek a similar level of veracity to the Grauniad then I can recommend https://rochdaleherald.co.uk

;D ;D ;D