Author Topic: Falls  (Read 3205 times)

Yellowbird

Re: Falls
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
How can it be that Ron with several bones broken in his pelvis who has been in a hospital bed for a week is still sitting in the discharge area on a hard chair on his own (they won’t take me home with him in the hospital car)since one oclock today with no sign of him coming home
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Diasi

« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »
How can it be that Ron with several bones broken in his pelvis who has been in a hospital bed for a week is still sitting in the discharge area on a hard chair on his own (they won’t take me home with him in the hospital car)since one oclock today with no sign of him coming home

Hospital discharge lounges are slow, when my wife left hospital we were in the discharge lounge for over 5 hours, but at least the seating was reasonably comfortable & we were offered cups of tea / coffee & a sandwich.

The delay was down to the hospital pharmacy not having her discharge medication ready.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:09:53 PM »
the last time i was in hospital i had the self same problem
4hours waiting for the pharmacy... i went and kicked up hell...
but it wasnt the pharmacy they were still awaiting the prescription from the ward... four hours after i had been ejected from the ward.... jobsworths, i offered to collect the bloody thing myself... next time i will certain take up my bed and walk
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Raven

« Reply #33 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »
Same problem here too.  :(  I got around it by saying we would call back for the meds after giving the ward a phone to see if they've arrived.

zoony

« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
The danger of falls is enhanced for those of us who live alone and I bear in mind an old mountaineering rule which is 'Three Points To The Face' and try to take care to move carefully on the stairs or in the garden. Not ready for a pendant just yet though. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »
I try to remember to hold onto the stair rail even though I don't need to.  I often think it might be a good idea for us living alone to always have our mobile phone handy, in case of accidents.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
It'd be illogical to disagree Minnie but I'd have a hard time remembering to carry it with me at all times as it's not my habit to carry it at all. Snow this week...There's good news.  ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:45:14 AM »
When I am up, my mobile is always in my pocket. I also have a community alarm
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:03:09 AM »
i have to search for my mobile when i'm going out,my son dont even know my indian number,and no-one in india knows my UK number... i do use whatsapp...lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »

I don't think the pendant is an 'age thing'.. I am well able to climb the stairs without using the rail. I carry water/tea and other items up and down stairs.
This week I turned my mattress over.. Two man job..  But I worked out a plan and told myself 'You can do it girl'..  I did too.
 I wear a wrist pendant.. It is handy when one lives alone.. Just imagine falling .!
... and no-one is due to visit..!. Scary.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:18:41 AM »
We bought my mother a phone that came with an alarm fob to hang around your neck which would cause the phone to ring up to 3 numbers in turn until one was answered and give a distress message.

She dropped off to sleep a couple of times and somehow set it off leading to me driving to her house. I think it must have embarrassed her because she later fell in her kitchen and took about half a day banging on the neighbours wall until she attracted attention. That was the start of her 3 month or so sojourn in hospital before she died of spinal cancer.

Sheila

« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
A young lady who lives opposite became stuck in her conservatory when the door broke.  She was apparently in there for ages until her neighbour heard something and managed somehow to get her out.  It must have been unusual for a young person not to have her mobile on her.

minniemouse

« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:17:17 PM »
A lady I used to know (not a pensioner), tripped on the stairs, she put her arm out to grab the rail but her arm went through the vertical 'bars' instead  She carried on falling and her trapped arm fractured. 

zoony

« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:18:48 PM »
Gordon Bennett! Way to reassure folks!  ;)

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
That's why I always hold onto the handrail.  ;)