Author Topic: is equity release a good or bad idea,??  (Read 112 times)

Alfred

is equity release a good or bad idea,??
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »

Although its regularly popping up on our t.vs i wonder with the hype that's generated ,i question is it really a good idea to  go for equity release , as what our property could give you , the people who run and organise these schemes obviously are also making big money out of it too,

Q; so what are your views or thoughts on equity release in general,is it a good or a bad idea,

fortyone

Re: is equity release a good or bad idea,??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
I'd have to be pretty desperate. Even then I'd probably downsize instead.

Just a mug who thought Brexit meant Brexit

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
Cynic that I am, I feel that many of these adverts paint a picture too good to be true - so I assume that probably to be the case. To be fair I have only skimmed the details out of idle curiosity, but it just looks like a loan charging interest so the lender can't lose.
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
If one has no family, and lives alone, I think that the money could be enjoyed by travelling and having a good time. Maybe. ??? gmx

Bobcat

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:12:46 PM »
Its horses for courses. Downsizing is by far the best options for the majority of people, but sadly there are a lot of elderly (usually) ladies living in a house that is far too big for them which they can barely afford to heat and usually cant even afford a decent meal, but they just can't manage the upheaval of moving, for them equity release is worth considering.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »
Its horses for courses. Downsizing is by far the best options for the majority of people, but sadly there are a lot of elderly (usually) ladies living in a house that is far too big for them which they can barely afford to heat and usually cant even afford a decent meal, but they just can't manage the upheaval of moving, for them equity release is worth considering.
Good point - but it pays to study the detail very carefully
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »
I pondered quite a long time before I committed and then it was only because I found out that StepChange would help and act as a 'broker' between me and the insurance company that did the deal. Their help and advice was key all the way through the process.
Content with little but a little more would be nice.

brian54

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
I don't think equity release is correct for me. I have had people phone me trying to sell equity release.
I am having all I want and I am still giving money to my daughter's and grandaughters and saving.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018, 02:42:13 PM by brian54 »

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
I don't think equity release is correct for me. I have had people phone me trying to sell equity release.
I am having all I want and I am still giving money to my daughter's and grandaunts and saving.

That's impressive, your grand aunts must be well into their hundreds.
If the Jews are God's chosen people, why did he give the oil to the Arabs?