Author Topic: Mobile phones  (Read 1903 times)

mick607

Re: Mobile phones
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
A mobile phone no landline can be much cheaper alternative, many friends I know have gone that route.

mick607

« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
Yes depends where you live & your provider of course.

fortyone

« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Landlines are usually needed for internet unless you can manage on 4G which is what I do at the caravan all summer. On the sort of data allowances you get you can forget about catchup tv or any streaming though.

mick607

« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
Saw a deal the other day where £20 pm gets unlimited everything ! A landline without any calls is close to that.

fortyone

« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »
Usually on those unlimited internet deals the unlimited is only on the phone with tethering blocked. I find this tablet a bit painful to use compared to a laptop and couldn't live with phone only.

I pay £13 for 30GB on the deal I have at the van and have a 4G router which means I can use it for phones laptop and tablet.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
Mine is usually in my pocket during the day, but the amount of use it gets is pretty limited. Total number of calls in the last week - incoming and outgoing combined - is 7 and 2 of those were nuisance calls. I text rather more, but normally use my Ipad for that - I find the keypad on the phone a right pain, and I don't think I have texted out of doors - and thus used the phone - more that a dozen times if that in the last year.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
I see my mobile phone as a convenience only.

fortyone

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
I rarely use mine but always carry one when driving in case of breakdown. Luckily I have never once needed it for that.

I sometimes use it for checking online prices if I see something I fancy in a shop.

Raven

« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »
We have a Landline as the Farm's a business but we both use our Mobiles for anything else. I have a terrific camera on mine so it goes everywhere with me as I'm always taking photos when I'm out and about, go through them when I get home and delete most but several will end up on Facebook. I use the phone on the Wifi as it won't use up my allowance and several places we go have free Wifi too. I love my phone but know when to leave it in the car lol. I have a Sim only contract (£7)as my phones usually come from my daughter or Ebay.

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
Saw a deal the other day where £20 pm gets unlimited everything ! A landline without any calls is close to that.

My provider offers 'always on' 4G with tethering allowed, but once you've used 20GB the speed is reduced to 384kbps which is virtually unusable.

If you can show me where I can get unlimited 4G with no throttling for £20 pm I'll sign up today.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
Just remembered - my phone gets used as a camera more than as a phone. Hardly ever carry a camera around now
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »
My provider offers 'always on' 4G with tethering allowed, but once you've used 20GB the speed is reduced to 384kbps which is virtually unusable.

If you can show me where I can get unlimited 4G with no throttling for £20 pm I'll sign up today.
https://www.4g.co.uk/news/unlimited-data/

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
https://www.4g.co.uk/news/unlimited-data/

Thanks for the link.

GiffGaff & Lycra are out because after the first 20GB  & 9GB respectively, they throttle the speed to little more than dial-up speed so in effect they offer an unlimited but virtually unusable service.

Virgin are out because I'm not a Virgin cable customer.

3 Mobile looks promising & I was with them for a number of years until I moved into one of their no signal areas & left them. If I went back to them I'd have to buy one of their phones though.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »
Well worth asking VM, sometimes they bend over backwards to tempt a new customer.

Diasi

« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:05:34 PM »
Well worth asking VM, sometimes they bend over backwards to tempt a new customer.

I've found an old Samsung Galaxy S that I had on the 3Mobile network in 2011 & I've put a £5 PAYGO sim in it & I'm getting a good signal now.

I recently switched to giffgaff because they use O2 which has very good coverage & has very flexible pricing plans, but I'll bear 3Mobile in mind.