Author Topic: retentative memory,  (Read 559 times)

Alfred

retentative memory,
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »

For many people who have a retentive memory it could be an asset, the ability to remember facts, figures and data must be a great asset to have , when i read of people like Alan  Turin  who was without doubt a genius .

again much like tommy flower the creator of the colossus to which the lap top or computer was developed shows just how clever these people were, so where does the ability to have a retentative memory come from or is it in the genes ,

Q  : do you have any thoughts for people with the ability to be able to remember data facts and anything else , where as many of us including myself dont measure up when it comes to being able to remember ,  what are your thoughts on memory itself,

zoony

Re: retentative memory,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
..Can't remember.. ???
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »
Cant remember what I did yesterday...... my memory isn't very good, unless I'm prompted  ;D

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
What was the question?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:08:43 PM »
40-50 years ago I had an excellent memory - colleagues dubbed me 'Leslie Welch' (anyone remember him?) but now - it's hopeless. I can still remember things from long ago, but my short term memory - I can look at, say three sets of figures and I've forgotten them by the time I try to write them down. Actually, it's quite humiliating not remembering the simplest things - one of my brothers-in-law phoned yesterday and told me, amongst general family chat, that he and his wife are off for a short break next week. By the time I put the phone down I could no longer remember where they are going.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

prestbury

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »
Must admit my short term memory can be poor at its best but I find that the memory banks appear to open the vault on anything over 12 months old.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:52:34 AM »
By its definition, retentive memory is merely the ability to hold on to a memory. I hold on to many, most from years past...Admittedly, most of them have no relevance to my day-to-day life now but they're the stuff I prefer to have in my brain. Life at present, such as it is, holds little worth remembering and if I have something that I have to remember I put it in my desk diary. The old memories I treasure are far more valuable than my next appointment with the chiropodist or what I had for lunch yesterday.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2018, 05:43:45 AM »
Zoony
So true
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
My memory is still very good, both long term & er, er, what's the other one?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

firenze

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
So true Zoony, old memories are there to dip into, I just dipped as I looked at the rain tippling down.....from wartime I expect. "It's raining its pouring old Hitler chased fat Goering".
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
A good memory is necessary for three main reasons.