Author Topic: the pleasure of reading a good book,  (Read 2571 times)

Alfred

the pleasure of reading a good book,
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

Im sure many of us at one time or other have read a really good book and once its finished we hopefully look for another one trying to keep the momentum going, in variably in my case iv rarely
managed to find a replacement,

how ever i like reading jack Higgins , and he has wrote ,many books,  another author Edward Marston  who  wrote the railway detective, again very interesting as you go back into the past when the railways were in their heyday,and the stories which evolved around the railways at that time,

Q;  of course i could go on, but ill leave that for you to hopefully let us know of  your  really good reads, 

sparky

Re: the pleasure of reading a good book,
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
I have always had mental  problem reading books, I go through the motions, half reading each line, but at the same time my mind is elsewhere, thinking of something I need to do, or a place to go, I get to the bottom of a page and realise none  of it has sunk in. The one and only book I remember  reading  that held my attention, was the life story of Henry Ford, that I read while staying for the weekend at my Brothers home 40 years ago.

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »

I enjoy reading books.. The one I have on the go at the moment is  'One Little Mistake '. Emma Curtis.
 I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment,having read four books in as many months.
I am not a quick reader and I can easily become bored with a book.. When this happens I just put it in re-cycle... even though I have only read the book half way through.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
I don't think I could stomach the life story of the supreme egotist Henry Ford.  Barring his wife, he is alleged to have had no time for his family and hated the English like poison.  How many folk maintained his old schoolroom and other artifacts of his youth as a shrine to his own persona?  He was completely unscrupulous and had security staff fire on striking workers.  He was an admirer of Adolph Hitler and is reputed to have had his portrait in his office.  A loathsome man.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
Sounds like you pretty much read the book after all  :)

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
I'm into Audio Books these days as I like to listen and either knit or do an online Jigsaw at the same time. I tend to mostly have Crime and Detective stories.
Rebus.
D.I. Banks.
Hamish MacBeth.
Agatha Raisin.
D.I. Logan.
and some Highland Historical Romance crimes for a change. At the moment I'm on the "Lewis Crime Trilogy" by Peter May, excellent reading if you like the Highlands and Islands.

Dave G

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
Good taste: Rankin, Robinson, Beaton, MacBride. The Lewis books are great reads. I'd throw Anne Cleeves (Vera, Shetland) in there for good measure. Cheers, Dave. 
Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
I enjoyed two books by Leslie Pearse.  'Trust Me' and 'Remember Me' are fiction but based on events that actually happened.  One of them is about 'criminals' who were sent to Australia and the other about children who were sent.  Both quite horrifying.

Dave G

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:47:59 AM »
Yes, Sheila, the white history of Australia is disturbing in many ways ....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
Nowadays I mostly read on my Ipad - got a 'library' of a bit over 600 books on it. One of the advantages of my rotten short term memory is that I can read a book and unless it has something utterly unforgettable (About 65 years or so ago read a book in which an American secret agent assassinated Stalin!) I can read it again a year or so later and it will be almost as new.
Pretty eclectic choice, in no particular order - Rebus, Holmes, Sharpe, Reacher, Morse, Hornblower, Vera, Anarchy series, Viking Series, almost anything by Cornwell, Dick Francis, etc, etc. I am a pretty quick reader - average two-three days per book and as I have so much time on my hands now I read a lot to pass the time as well as for entertainment
Mike - and my 'proper' books are mostly non-fiction - military, weaponry, cricket, Rugby, aviation, etc.

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »
Good taste: Rankin, Robinson, Beaton, MacBride. The Lewis books are great reads. I'd throw Anne Cleeves (Vera, Shetland) in there for good measure. Cheers, Dave.

I have several books downloaded from the "Shetland" Series, also the "Grantchester" and "Murdoch Mysteries" but not listened to any of them yet. Edward Marston's "Railway Detective" and "Home Front Detective" are excellent too.

Dave G

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »
Happy listening, Raven- you have a good collection there. I also enjoy audio and some of the readers are wonderful. There are even awards now for narrators'.  :D

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »
Some similar tastes here. I like Rebus, Reacher, Val McDermid (sp?), James Patterson  and loads more. Mainly mysteries and thrillers. I still prefer a real book to electronic reading.

I've got about 6 on order from the library,  picked up 2 today which I'll read over the next few days. Reading was a big part of my childhood, only children are often readers.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Dave G

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Well said, Granny. Your McDermid was correct. Similar tastes here. We have some good crime writers here in Oz. Peter Temple, Michael Robotham and Garry Disher to name a few.  :D

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
I'll have to check those out Dave.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais