Author Topic: RIP George H W Bush  (Read 1020 times)

Diasi

RIP George H W Bush
« on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
Past-President George H W Bush has died at the age of 94.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

Re: RIP George H W Bush
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »

He was a good man.. Well loved and respected by other politicians.
He had a long and loving marriage... He reached a grand old age.

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Audrine

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Thank you Scrumpy, such nice words that were so true about President Bush's passing. Such a good example of a respected man compared to you know who?

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
His boy I presume. Nasty piece of work.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
At least his Iraq war had some justification.

Johned

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
If Bush hadn't conned Blair into interfering in Iraq or Afghanistan or indeed Libya with him, it is intriguing to wonder where we would be today regarding a more peaceful coexistence with the Muslim world.  Not to mention Iran.   

Audrine

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:22:42 PM »
I know little about President Bush's term in office,we lived in Brihish Columbia at that time.You certainly have a point John, Bravo.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:49:40 PM »
If Bush hadn't conned Blair into interfering in Iraq or Afghanistan or indeed Libya with him, it is intriguing to wonder where we would be today regarding a more peaceful coexistence with the Muslim world.  Not to mention Iran.
That was Bush junior. It's his father that died.

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:25:47 AM »

'Phoney Tony' Bliar wasn't conned, he was as keen as Bush Jnr to go to war with Iraq. They both saw it as an opportunity to gain world status for their egos.

The problem was that they were both too dim to realise that Muslim countries need to be ruled & kept under control by leaders with iron fists & who use violence.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:36:24 AM »
It does get a bit confusing to have two Presidents Bush so close together. George H.W. served on term – 1989-1993 – having previously been VP to Ronald Reagan. During his term the USA led the coalition that fought the first Gulf war after Saddam invaded Kuwait. A short, successful campaign pushed Iraq out of Kuwit in a few weeks after launching the ground offensive in February 1991. Bush called off the action once that had been achieved, leading to criticism that the action should have bene maintained and Saddam ousted. Bush refuted the criticism saying to continue would effectively meant having to occupy Baghdad and rule Iraq.
George W served two terms – 2001-2009. It was he, not his father, who reacted to 9/11 with the ‘War on Terror’ leading to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, the toppling of Saddam, the involvement of Blair, etc.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
It does get a bit confusing to have two Presidents Bush so close together. George H.W. served on term – 1989-1993 – having previously been VP to Ronald Reagan. During his term the USA led the coalition that fought the first Gulf war after Saddam invaded Kuwait. A short, successful campaign pushed Iraq out of Kuwit in a few weeks after launching the ground offensive in February 1991. Bush called off the action once that had been achieved, leading to criticism that the action should have bene maintained and Saddam ousted. Bush refuted the criticism saying to continue would effectively meant having to occupy Baghdad and rule Iraq.
George W served two terms – 2001-2009. It was he, not his father, who reacted to 9/11 with the ‘War on Terror’ leading to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, the toppling of Saddam, the involvement of Blair, etc.

Bush Snr had the intelligence to realise that Muslim countries needed to be ruled by the likes of Saddam Hussain & that's why no further action was taken.

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »
Pity his son didn't. We'll pay the price for that mistake for decades to come.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:59:11 AM »
I'm sure that you are right
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
I'm pleased that the Russians have thwarted the US & UK efforts to oust Assad in Syria.