Author Topic: Paris on fire tonight  (Read 3701 times)

Ashy

Paris on fire tonight
« on: Dec 01, 2018, 05:41:48 PM »
Seems that the French don't like their taxes being raised. I sympathise but they are going to have to pay more when we leave the eu.

Alex22

Re: Paris on fire tonight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
Makes a change from the immigrants rioting  8)

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
I guess they had to move their tents though.

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »
If it was here they'd get compensation.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
I guess they had to move their tents though.

With any luck it was the tents that were burning.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
The mass media are very keen to show ordinary french taxpayers "rioting". I wonder who it really is. Probably nothing to do with fuel tax.

digitalis

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »

Very interested to hear and see the backstory to some of the rioters,and why they are rioting. Some of their towns and cities are becoming as shabby and forgotten as some of our own. What bleakness. Meanwhile,up in Paris and at the smart up-town stables,the top brass - politicians and businessmen-laugh and pocket massive salaries and pensions. I think their greed even outdoes some of our own Top Table,and is even better hidden because of newspaper restrictions on their debauched living.

Read another article which predicted the end of lower middle class: most o their work to be automated or sold down to lower wage migrants. Introduce cut back in welfare,introduce more medication and/or drugs,betting,alcohol and the lot....you cull the plebs by neglect. Not very nice,but hey ho!

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
In a perverse way, you have to admire the French.  If they feel they are being pushed too hard, they do something about it.  Whereas with our British phlegm, we just carry on moaning!

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
Very interested to hear and see the backstory to some of the rioters,and why they are rioting. Some of their towns and cities are becoming as shabby and forgotten as some of our own. What bleakness. Meanwhile,up in Paris and at the smart up-town stables,the top brass - politicians and businessmen-laugh and pocket massive salaries and pensions. I think their greed even outdoes some of our own Top Table,and is even better hidden because of newspaper restrictions on their debauched living.

Read another article which predicted the end of lower middle class: most o their work to be automated or sold down to lower wage migrants. Introduce cut back in welfare,introduce more medication and/or drugs,betting,alcohol and the lot....you cull the plebs by neglect. Not very nice,but hey ho!

Sky News interviewed some older people who weren't your typical rioters & what they said mirrored the UK.

Basically most of the French transport money is spent in Paris where people have access to the cheap 24/7 Metro & bus services & aren't hit by the fuel tax hikes, while those living in rural France who have no public transport are hit badly.

In the UK London has the Tube, more buses than you can shake a stick at, Crossrail, Crossrail 2, DLR,  etc but a scream goes up when the North gets HS2.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:03:35 AM »

In the UK London has the Tube, more buses than you can shake a stick at, Crossrail, Crossrail 2, DLR,  etc but a scream goes up when the North gets HS2.
Well I'm one of the screamers against HS2, not because it serves the North (NORTH - that's a joke for a start) but because I believe the enormous amount of money it costs would be better spent improving services in the less well served areas of the country - including the North.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »
Well I'm one of the screamers against HS2, not because it serves the North (NORTH - that's a joke for a start) but because I believe the enormous amount of money it costs would be better spent improving services in the less well served areas of the country - including the North.
Mike

Your reasoning changes nothing which is that Paris & London get far more money spent on their transport infrastructures than the rest of their respective countries.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:36:40 AM »
Bit of a non sequitur, although true as far as I can see.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »
Bit of a non sequitur, although true as far as I can see.
Mike

But from people interviewed in Paris, the transport disparity between Paris & rural France is a large part of the reason behind the protests.

fortyone

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »
Aren't they just following tradition? Why else would the French police have water canon while Theresa felt ours didn't need them and banned their use? Might have a few pangs of regret on that the way things are heading of course....

fortyone