Author Topic: Televised tours  (Read 1388 times)

sparky

Televised tours
« on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »

Living in the Cotswolds I have the ability to visits very many pretty villages and interesting locations within spitting distance, but given the very many other areas of great  interest around the country, I do feel the TV companies are missing a trick, by not televising on a regular basis, guided  walking tours that many. including me, would enjoy  seeing,  of the many other interesting  parts of the UK, I could sit down this afternoon and for instance enjoy a tour of say Nottingham or  maybe   Penzance.                                               Oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would skip any of Birmingham at all costs,  in case Brian appeared in the tour .

Raven

Re: Televised tours
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
Yes, I like the sound of that. I'd have to record it though and watch later on at night.  ;)

fortyone

« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »
The problem is the time an average walk takes and the attention span of a modern audience. Highlights might do it but looking at a bit of scenery doesn't have a great draw.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Slow radio is very popular, perhaps slow telly might be appreciated..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
Fortyone, Looking at scenery may not be everybody's cup of tea. but I am sure that there would be many that would enjoy seeing areas  that they have never had the chance to visit, particularly us oldies. and I would also love to compare those places that  I did visit donkey's years ago with my late wife, to see how or if they have changed. and what lovely  memories they would trigger.

fortyone

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
I may well appreciate that too but I can't see it having a wide enough appeal for it to be done. TV execs like proven formats which is why finding a channel without a damned cooking competition, talent contest, celebrity special daytime TV contest., or a soap is nigh on impossible at peak times.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
fortyone, Yeah but those execs also like cheap, so no overpaid so called celebs to fork out for.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
Reminds me of the old Hollywood travel films back in the day sparky!  "And so we say farewell to the Cotswolds with Anne Hathaway's cottage nestling peacefully by the river Thames, wherein she would entertain Will Shakespeare and his friends!"  Lucky them!  Along with Pathe Pictorial, The March of Time and the inevitable Disney cartoon, to us youngsters at the time, the Yank travel films with their concept of a twee and ancient UK, were a boor and factually incorrect.  Still the technicolor was good!  There again you might get a short comedy with either Leon Erroll, Edgar Kennedy or Curly, Larry and Moe, the latter becoming Shemp in more modern times; namely "The Three Stooges!"  Ah these old reminiscences, I could get quite carried away (there are some who would say "and so he should be!"). 

Ashy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »
Travel films can be pleasant to watch. A couple of agencies used to make them, BP oil was one and the railways made them too. I suppose they were shown in cinemas between feature films. As far as I recall, BBC2 was showing them as a test transmission before they got going properly.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
I've not watched any of them but failed politician Michael Portillo has a series of programs with him on railway journies around the country. They are shown on channels you skip past when making a vain attempt to find something vaguely interesting on TV.

MARTIN

fortyone

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:34:32 PM »

Raven

« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:57:44 PM »
There is a programme mostly on BBC2 about Grand Tours of Scotland, different areas with Paul Murton. He's done several Series and I've enjoyed them, especially the one around my stomping grounds in Caithness. It's a strange feeling seeing the place you were walking only yesterday on the TV. This is a wee clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmH9ezC598Y

granny moss

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »
There are loads of travel DVDs on the screen. I regularly watch them. They are always there available at any time of night or day. I travel Switzerland a lot by train, also in an elicopter sitting with the pilot, and enjoying the views from above ! I have had trips to Canada, by train....I have seen the most amazing things and places on the planet. These DVDs are there for anyone to sit down with a nice cup of tea and enjoy ! There is SO MUCH ! One only needs to surf the Webb....and click the choice. You tube is a very good place to start. On GOOGLE click Animal collective Floridada...and watch the group of old pensioners doing a very good dance on the Alps !!! and on the side of it, you get listed all the choices of 100s of programmes you wish to see, about everything in this World ! Music with pictures, waterfalls and forests, see scapes....It is really fantastic and at a finger click.  Time to stop grumbling and wake up and do a bit of surfing !It is ALL in there. Films, ballets, comedy, and all sort of very interesting things. Another very good place is iPlayer. Hundred od films ,documentaries ,comedy, Strictly, Soaps etc etc..... Where have you all been ?  ::) gmx

Tessywizz

« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
Andrew White does do a television show called "Walks Around Britain". This usually appears on the lesser known channels but he has shown many interesting places. The link below is to his website and you can see excerts of most of his walks on there.

http://www.walksaroundbritain.co.uk/television