Author Topic: technology today,  (Read 1147 times)

Alfred

technology today,
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:47:43 PM »

Not that long ago i learned of these companies who operate an on line business, and who employ couriers who deliver up to forty drops a day, and no doubt must have on board in their vans and estates,

and have a satnav on board as they have to find the many different routes to carry out their deliveries, and many of these operators have to start eight o'clock if not earlier,and work all day long some even up to nine o'clock, in the evening, (even though im grateful for this service,)

im sure many of you who like me even get updates as to where your delivery is, and  even when you can expect it,   i wonder if  i was young enough could i do this type of work , my answer is no i dont think i could, ….. but im grateful to the people who do, ?...………………..could you??

Raven

Re: technology today,
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »
Ohhhhhh Don't get me started on those damn Delivery Companies. They like to charge a lot extra if you live in the Highlands of Scotland. Totally unfair. Royal Mail delivers all over the UK for the same price, including the Islands,  and so should they. I have had massive fallouts with Sellers on Ebay over this, One even asked for £18 extra to deliver to my own home in Perth.  >:(  I told him excatly what I thought of him and reported him both to Ebay and the Trading Standards. He's no longer on Ebay..

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:17:39 PM »
Raven
I've come across that from time to time (13 miles north of Perth) and have simply ignored such companies. Never yet not been able to find someone else - fingers crossed!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
I usually do that but sometime the Scunners hide the extra costs untill it comes up in the Checkout. I think some down South think Scotland ends around Eginburgh/Glasgow. As for Thurso area where I spend so much time.....Well that's a foreign Land they've never heard of.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »
Thurso - been there, done that and I'm sure the buggers nicked the T-shirt!
Mike  ;D ;D
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »

The delivery blokes that have called on me are usually foreign . The ones I have met are generally nice people..They work long hours.. and are always polite.  It’s a pity that some of the whites on benefits don’t give it a try instead of moaning that foreigners are ‘Taking the jobs’  OR ‘There’s no work around’..
 I think many of us ‘Old school’  put in a lot of working hours..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Raven

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
Thurso - been there, done that and I'm sure the buggers nicked the T-shirt!
Mike  ;D ;D

It's actually a few miles along the coast from Thurso, I always just say Thurso area then folk know (mostly) where I am.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »
Royal mail only charge the same for every address because they have to. That's why they aren't as competitive as those able to charge more for deliveries that cost them more.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
True 41, but there's charging a bit more then rip off. I usually now find I can get the same item on Ebay with free postage, but have to wait a wee bit longer as it's got to come from Germany or Holland.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »
Carried by RM on the last leg.

I can understand you being annoyed but it isn't just eBay sellers charge a premium. I've seen that £18 mentioned myself so I'm guessing it's one of the couriers who simply don't want to be bothered with such routes. If an eBay seller uses only that courier to get a discount he has no option but to pass the cost on. It won't lose them all that many customers.

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:55:39 PM »
No, just ones North of the Border.  ::) :)

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
Anyway Alfred, There are a couple of Companies who text you about the delivery, or email an out for delivery mail and you can check where you are in the line. I like that, it's good not to have to wait in all day. Most of the men and a few women who do this job here are old older, maybe late 40s upward. No young people at all.

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
Ohhhhhh Don't get me started on those damn Delivery Companies. They like to charge a lot extra if you live in the Highlands of Scotland. Totally unfair. Royal Mail delivers all over the UK for the same price, including the Islands,  and so should they. I have had massive fallouts with Sellers on Ebay over this, One even asked for £18 extra to deliver to my own home in Perth.  >:(  I told him excatly what I thought of him and reported him both to Ebay and the Trading Standards. He's no longer on Ebay..
Why shouldn't some one living in the Highlands of Scotland pay ,more ? They choose to live there so why should they be subsidised ? Royal Mail should charge more for delivery. Roll on devolution.

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »
Ok Mick Turn it around and there would soon be a massive outcry from England. If we in Scotland started to charge massive delivery prices on goods that we sent to you.

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
I doubt it. We would just do what you have and look at alternate suppliers. I think I've occasionally seen Glasgow as the base of an eBay seller but can't recall any other Scottish source mentioned.