Author Topic: Commentaries on Living  (Read 764 times)

digitalis

Commentaries on Living
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »

I visited Waterstones yesterday. Nothing new. Oftentimes its filled with overseas students who take the chairs and tables to sit there all morning to do their studies...meaning less space for us ordinary folk. Today however,I went in to be confronted with 12 ME gentlemen all being taught English by one(or was it two)Spanish Italian tutors. The men were all under 28 I would guess,and all very reasonably dressed. They appeared to be Afghani(or around that area). The lesson overtook my reading abilities and stressed my intolerance of having some space...and quiet. I have accepted theseadays that libraries are playgrounds and jobseekers workplaces alongside those seeking social support,housing queries...but it did seem a bit much to have open teaching sessions for refugees(?)in Waterstones café.
Still,mustn't grumble for fear of being admonished by outriders of thought policing.
As is my error I let my mind muse and wondered how it was that outside I saw the local indigenous homeless lying in doorways. Yet these young foreign men were being tutored gratis in well dressed clothing. Of course,this was speculative thought and with its observation,I guess,racist and xenophobic. I still cant hep but wonder where we gonna put everybody that's coming here. Place seems to be getting ever more overcrowded. Build more rat accommodation and roads I suppose. I cant says I like it but have often been admonished by others who say theres plenty left space in England to build lottsa stuff: roads,more rail,tiny houses,warehouses,industrial estates...you get the picture

digitalis

Re: Commentaries on Living
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
...and as a PS I believe we will be staying in the EU tho those in power might say we are leaving,or have left. This means freedom of movement of people who are in the EU. Coupled with people who are coming here from outside it. That's lottsa people. But thedn the government and Big Biz want perpetual growth....But aint that wot the made BBC saint Sir Dickie Attenborough warning us about. I'm confused ;) 

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Its difficult not to make a judgement on what we see and hear sometimes, even when we don't know the full story.  Whoever they were, I don't think a cafe in a bookshop is an appropriate place for a lesson. 

Here there are places where refugees/asylum seekers get help to learn English, often from volunteers.   Those on student visas pay for it!  And whilst I agree that its worrying seeing so many people who appear to be rough sleeping, I know via my old colleagues, that in this area there are just a few hard core homeless. They have been in and out of accommodation, had support for addiction etc. Others who are begging do have places to stay. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:12:21 AM »
It's a self-fulfilling event because the ardent Remainers don't live in areas that are adversely affected by mass immigration.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
At least they'll be able to speak the official local lingo. I get fed up making the occasional amusing/friendly comment to somebody in a supermarket only to be met with a blank stare and silence. Despite us being as far inland as it is possible to be in this country I swear half the population are fresh off the boat.

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:41:38 AM »

I am fortunate that I live in an area where there are no homeless laying on our streets..
 I do see them in Brighton.. They leave their belongings laying across the pavement while they go off to heaven knows where. They don't appear to be old in age ,as a matter of fact they look youngish and healthy.  Many don't look to be foreigners either.
 Most of the foreigners seem to be working. Delivering parcels etc. Or trying to start up some sort of small business in painting & decorating and other jobs that need doing.  A lovely gentleman cut my hedges last year and he did a good job of it..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »
There was a lady living across the way from us pre mass immigration and she solved the jobs issue with lots of different uncles for her daughter. There was a garden uncle, a painting uncle, a car mechanic uncle, a general maintenance uncle etc. etc. We weren't nosey enough to know if it was always the same uncle for each task or possibly more - for instance there could have been a tyre uncle, an oil uncle and so on with different ones next time needed.

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »
I've been in Germany for the last few days - nobody missed me ?  8) It seems each time I go back the situation gets worse, or perhaps I'm just noticing it more ?   I do hope Digi is wrong and we will leave the EU.

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »

I did Alex.. I thought 'where are all the women on this site'... I kept it going though..  Now it is your turn to carry the banner..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
Folks disappear and reappear. For instance I don't recall seeing anything from crabby in a week.

Emmaline

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
Unfortunately things continue on in the same way ad infinitum do they not no matter what government holds the reins and we have to toe the line and just get on with it!
I have recently moved into a care home but because I didn't fill in a form correctly my benefits were stopped which seems to be a ploy to make people get off their backsides and go to find work which means we then all have to suffer.. the fact that I have been seriously ill doesn't count!
I just hope that some of these people don't have to suffer in the same way but it would be a good lesson for them if they did!
All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

granny moss

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
I live in a small broad land village (1500 souls...) They are soon building 1000 more houses. So far, no signs of beggars, homeless, coloured, students taking lessons in the small PO......the only shop....or the only Pub....we have one bus an hour....so far....It is still how England was....For how long ? Who knows ! :'( gmx