Author Topic: Tax for social care.  (Read 1124 times)

brian54

Tax for social care.
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 12:36:50 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/new-tax-on-over-40s-being-considered-by-ministers-to-fund-social-care-would-raise-£15bn-a-year-study-finds/ar-BBQBsus?li=BBoPWjQ

I suppose it is one solution.
I am just wondering how it would be applied to somebody I know who has part of his pension as final salary payable monthly and some as a draw down pension.
He has told me most years he manages on his final salary pension and only dips in to his drawdown pension if he has out of the ordinary expenses.

Alex22

Re: Tax for social care.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »

ooops wrong thread

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
It's all blether at the moment. Not handing great wodges of cash to foreigners as aid and taxes would raise more.

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
They could also stop pension credit. People have not earned it and should be stopped. I don't get any.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »
I don't get any.
I don't get as much as I used to but that's probably age. I don't think my back could survive with the level maintained when I was younger anyway.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
Was this topic not covered here:
http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18192.0.html
So,
for those between 40 and 66, it puts the earned from work basic rate PAYE tax to 34.5%
for those between 40 and 100 it puts the unearned basic rate PAYE tax to 22.5%.

It is just another example of how out of touch our politicians really are.  The ages 30 to 50 are proably the most expensive years for workers - people earning real money don't have babies until they are in their 30ies. 

All this proposal does is exacerbate the unfairness that exists with the current tax system. 

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
I don't get as much as I used to but that's probably age. I don't think my back could survive with the level maintained when I was younger anyway.

That's why the reverse cowgirl was invented.

P.S. Now look what you've made me post.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
It's all blether at the moment. Not handing great wodges of cash to foreigners as aid and taxes would raise more.

I agree, tax should be the last resort after all other revenue saving measures have been used, starting with the scrapping of foreign aid & free NHS emergency treatment for foreigners.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:34:09 PM »
P.S. Now look what you've made me post.
don't blame me Brian started it.

brian54

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »
I agree, tax should be the last resort after all other revenue saving measures have been used, starting with the scrapping of foreign aid & free NHS emergency treatment for foreigners.

How would you define a foreigner.
A man I worked with who has retired recently had paid 40% tax for a long time as well as 20% tax in his early years. He has worked in the UK for 40 years.
Would you say he is a foreigner.
His 2 sons are GPs and his 2 daughters in law are a nurse and a teacher.

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
Brian, if he has lived in Britain for so long but retains foreign nationality then he is indeed foreign, and he wants to be. However I do believe that the foreigners we referred to are in these categories in the main:
1. Any state receiving foreign aid.
2. The United Nations and subsidiaries.
3. The european union government.
4. Benefit tourists and health tourists.

Now my preference, if tax be necessary, would be to tax those who corporately provide care for the elderly.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »

How would you define a foreigner.
A man I worked with who has retired recently had paid 40% tax for a long time as well as 20% tax in his early years. He has worked in the UK for 40 years.
Would you say he is a foreigner.
His 2 sons are GPs and his 2 daughters in law are a nurse and a teacher.

A foreigner, for the purpose of obtaining free NHS emergency treatment, is anyone who doesn't have British Citizenship.

The case you quote, which you've quoted before, involves someone who is obviously a British Citizen.

brian54

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
We had somebody visiting our office from Singapore and he cut in between hisfingers and had to have stitches. He told the hospital he had insurance but they were not interested and did not charge him because the accident happened in the uk.

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
We had somebody visiting our office from Singapore and he cut in between hisfingers and had to have stitches. He told the hospital he had insurance but they were not interested and did not charge him because the accident happened in the uk.

The NHS should be forced to charge visitors from abroad, that's my whole point.

Brits even have to pay in some EU countries.